Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yesterday

If my ex-husband and I were still married, we would have celebrated 12 years of marriage yesterday. I can't believe it's been 12 years and even more I can't believe that we have been divorced for 7 years. I was only 22 when James and I got married and was so immature. When I think about why I got married it wasn't because I was in love with James. Part of me really wanted out of my parents house and the other part felt like that was what I was suppose to do. I actually got married later then most kids my age.

I knew before James and I got married that I was making a mistake. But my Mom was so into planning the wedding and I felt like I couldn't tell them I had made a mistake. The money my parents spent on the wedding could have easily bought us a house. I still believe it was a beautiful wedding, I just wish I had had more courage to be myself back them. But then everything happens for a reason.

James is a good person and I did love him, but I was not in love with him. At the time he was very safe for me. I was not always nice to James and I can see that now. It's not that I hated him, I just hated myself.

I did think of James yesterday and I sincerely hope that he is doing good, wherever he is. The last time we spoke was our last court date in early 2001. As I sit here trying to recover from my breakup with Laura, I look forward to the day when I can look back at the time I had with her and only wish her the best. I still struggle with my anger with Laura, but seeing how I can say I wish James the best gives me hope that one day I can have those same thoughts about Laura.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never married James. It took me 5 years to undue a 30 minute ceremony. The 5 years that James and I were married I was so unhappy. I knew I had made a mistake and I felt trapped. I am thankful that in 1999 I was finally OK with who I was and had the courage to change where my life was going.

7 comments:

Lynilu said...

At least you can finally see that there can be a future without anger and conflict. Some people never get past that, and those are the ones that usually repeat the mistake.

James was actually a really nice guy, but so quirky!! It was good of you to last 5 years, 'cause I would have probably been ready to smack him silly over those goofy habits.

Happy Freedom Day!

Bella said...

You are so right, everything happens for a reason. Some of it I'm still trying to figure out, and maybe never will.

Audra said...

Everything does happen for a reason.

You sure look fabulous in that wedding dress though :)

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, switch the names and I could have written this post. Wanted out of my parents' house, thought it was the thing to do, had no idea how to live independently, knew it was a mistake but was too scared to tell my parents... Ugh.

You do look really lovely in your dress!

Last night and tonight I read thru a bunch of your archives and I cannot believe what you have been through. You are strong and you will be even stronger from all of the growth that will come out of the last year.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo! Whenever the anniversary of my 1st marriage comes around I think "OhMyGod...was it that long ago?" I got married for alot of the wrong reasons too. I did end up with my 3 beautiful daughters however so I try to look at it in a positive light.

Monogram Queen said...

Yes everything does happen for a reason but sometimes damned if I can figure it out to save my life. You were a beautiful, beautiful bride Caroline!

Minnesota Nice said...

When I look at my wedding pics (I was the same age as you) I think, "oh, so thin, so pretty, so STUPID!" I looked like a lamb going to slaughter. But we survived, eh? I still like my ex too - he wasn't a bad guy, just the wrong guy at the wrong time.