Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Worth Their Weight in Gold

Last night my friend came over and painted. Notice I did not say help me paint. That's right, she did all the painting. She knew I was tired and pretty much have been exhausted for the last month and she told me to just sit there and we talked while she did all the painting. After some painting we then sat around and listened to Penelope (iPod). I had one earphone in and she had the other in. To me it was perfect. We weren't doing something real exciting, just listening to some really good music with our very best friend. It doesn't get much better then that.

I know I am lucky to have this person as my friend. But sometimes it takes someone else to notice it to really realize how fortunate you are.

Today Laura called me. She asked how things were going and I explained to her how this friend was coming over to help me with the painting. Oh, and because I really don't have any extra money right now, my friend is getting all the supplies we need to paint the inside. As I was talking to Laura about all of this Laura suddenly stopped and said, "She really cares about you Caroline". That one sentence kind of left me speechless. Ever have one of those moments where it all comes clear. I knew this person cared for me, but today it became even more clear how much she really just care for me.

Right when MG and I broke up I was crying to this friend telling her that I felt bad for those that loved me because for the last 7+ months I had only taken and not been able to give anything as a friend. She stopped me and said, "What about the first 33 years of your life where all you did was give? Allow us to help you right now and to give back to you."

My friends are worth their weight in gold!

8 comments:

Audra said...

thats so great that you have someone there to help you out! It's your turn to get pampered!!!

Bella said...

So very true. Thanks for the reminder!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

(That was my deleted comment...there were big typos, and I just couldn't stand it, LOL)

My fiancé and I were just talking about this couple we know and how they are the only people in our lives we know who will do the things for us that, previously, only family would ever do. Things like showing up on a Sunday morning and painting all day, hauling furniture....sitting around talking about nothing and laughing until we can't breath. In our whole lives, this is the FIRST friendship like that we've ever known.

You are so fortunate Caroline, because you have that in abundance! You are even more fortunate that you realize what you have and treasure it.

Lynilu said...

It is hard to receive without reciprocating, isn't it? But it is such a good thing to do for the other person. And yes, you gave and gave and gave in your earlier years. Don't think it wasn't noticed. :)(:

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

You are so very lucky to have a friend like that - they are a rare jewel indeed

Holly said...

How true!

Monogram Queen said...

Yep friends are golden.