Thursday, August 02, 2007

Taking Care of Them


*Update at end of post*

The last 5 months have been an adjustment for me. In the process of taking care of me, I sometimes forget that my babies are also trying to adjust to a whole new world. For a month now our house has been filled with boxes. I need to remember that all of this is a big change for them as well.

Last night Sophie reminded me that I can not forget about them. As I went to get into bed I pulled the covers back and there was a huge wet spot on the sheets. When I smelled it I realized that it was not cat pee, but dog pee. I looked down at Sophie who was sitting on the floor and she gave me the saddest "I'm so sorry" look. Just an FYI: this is only the 3rd time that Sophie has had an accident inside. (oh wait, 4 if you count the first 5 minutes at Lynilu's) So, for her to have an accident I knew something was really bothering her.

I immediately felt bad and felt like I had been neglecting their emotional needs and it brought me back to reality that they are also stressed with all the change that has been going on. I gave Sophie some love and then stripped the bed. But guess what? I had no idea where my sheets were. I looked in a couple boxes, but could not find them. My only other option was the sleeping bag that I use when I go camping. So I laid out a blanket and used the sleeping bag as my comforter. Ben got the biggest kick out of the way the sleeping bag felt and slept most the night on it.

This weekend will be filled with lots of love for my 4 babies. Last night was a good reminder that I can't forget that they have feelings too and as much as I am stressed they are also stressed.

*When I got home Sophie had had another accident on the bed. I called the vet and they said it could be a bladder infection. I took her in and yes she does have a bladder infection, but she also has Vaginitis. BTW, do you know how odd it is to be talking to your vet about your dogs vagina? After $169 at the vet, hopefully she will start to feel better and I can trust her again in the bedroom.

Also, I know several of you have told me to do this, but I finally did it. I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow to discuss my options with the house. Laura has cut of all contact with me (I only contacted her if it was related to the house) and she has closed her one email account that I know. I wish I could say that I am shocked at her behavior, but really I am not. This is her pattern when she ends a relationship. Somehow a court is always involved.

13 comments:

Lynilu said...

Oh, poor Sophie. That is a sure sign of her stress. I feel so bad for the animals. They get confused by the packing process, then they pick up on *your* stress, and they just don't know how to deal with it. It will do ALL of you good to have a cuddling weekend. Give everyone hugs from me and the kids.

Patti_Cake said...

Absolutely and look on the bright side, now you don't have go let go of darling Brady!

Casey said...

Oooh...poor babies. :( Have a great weekend of extra snuggles and cuddles. I think you ALL need them.

Bella said...

Enjoy your weekend. You all need it!

SassyFemme said...

Poor Sophie! Maybe her wetting the bed was her way of getting your attention to say something didn't feel good? Every time we've moved one of the cats (usually my Siamese when she was still alive) would end up with a bladder infection. The vet said stress does it. I guess it's the same with dogs. With some extra snuggles and some good meds she'll be fine in no time.

Very, very glad to hear about the lawyer. Um, just be sure it's someone familiar with law as it applies to gay/lesbian relationships.

Anonymous said...

poor puppy...it's gotta be hard to tell you when she doesn't feel good...I'm glad you figured it out.

good for you getting to the lawyer too!

Caroline said...

lynilu--yes, poor sophie. but what about me??? i am the one that have had to strip the bed twice in 24 hours and sleep in a sleeping bag last night. :):) i will give sophie a hug for you if she will let me get that close to her. she is kind of upset about the whole vet thing today

patti--i thought of that and was thankful that at least for now i can keep brady

casey--yes we do need lots of hugs this weekend.

katie--we are really hoping for a very low key weekend with not much stress

sassy--i am not sure if this lawyer is real familiar with gay/lesbian relationship, but he does know this involves a gay relationship. i am anxious to find out what he has to say

traci--life would be so much easier if the animals could just tell me when they are sick:) Oh and i wish they could understand what i am saying when i tell them things will be just fine. they just look at me with the oddest look.

Julie said...

I think this is the right move. I know lawyers can be expensive, but peace of mind is worth so much. (I was sued once...looking back on it, best money I ever spent.)
Let people do what they do best so YOU can do what you do best. She deserves no more of your energy.
Wish I lived close to camp with you guys-:)

Jamie said...

Oh Caroline, things WILL improve, but I'll bet you get tired of hearing that. But I just know they will.

I'm sure Sophie will bounce back quickly, I am as much of a dog lover as you---doesn't it just make you want to cry when they are sick? It's just like having kids---that never grow up.

Hang in there. :)

Caroline said...

julie--i totally agree with you about the lawyer. just having the appt. i already feel better. no camping this weekend..too hot

simonsays--yes it is hard when my babies are sick. i think she is already feeling a little better. i left her alone in the bedroom while i ran out this morning and YAY, no accident

Minnesota Nice said...

Poor Sophie but please don't blame yourself, dogs can get these infections any time!

So if you could afford to keep the house, would you?

amy h said...

Poor Sophie!

I'm really glad you'll be seeing a lawyer. I hope that is a help to you.

Trop said...

Sometimes the courts are the best way to go. Retaining a good lawyer is money well spent. When so much is at stake, you must protect yourself. I wish you the best.