Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

I am at a point with my parents where I can see the good memories that I had with them, rather then what has happened the last three years. It feels good to be at this point.

Today is my Mom's birthday. In honor of her birthday here are some of my favorite memories I have of my Mom:

*When I was in elementary school she let me stay home one day even though she knew I was not really sick. We went to the mall and had lunch at Dixon's Chili. It was the best day.

*I used to be terrified of thunderstorms. One night I woke up and it was raining. She took me outside (in my PJ's) and we sat on our deck watching the lightening. I don't remember how long we sat there, but it seemed like for hours. I felt safe in her arms as she held me.

*After my ex husband and I got married my Mom and I would always go out on Saturdays. Sometimes we would go shopping and other times we would just go and have lunch together. It was one of these lunches that I looked at my Mom and realized she was my best friend.

*She never got upset when I would call her 3-4x a day after my ex husband and I split. I was lonely and just wanted someone to talk to and she knew that even though she never told me she knew.

So, Happy Birthday to my Mom. She really is a good person with a good heart. She is just mixed up in a religion that tells her exactly what to do and think. If I was able to spend the day with her I would make sure it was the best birthday ever.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe you should send her these memories in a card?

One Messed Up Chick said...

You have a huge heart and its awesome all the good memories you had with your mother. I am sure she remembers them too :)

Casey said...

You are a very kind hearted person so be able to share and remember such amazing memories. As a mom, I'm willing to bet she remembers everything - even if she pretends to remember nothing.

Kerry said...

It takes great strength and maturity to look past the ignorance of others especially ones who are so close to you. I commend you for being able to do that. Not everyone can.

Parker said...

This is a great thing for you. Remembering the positive things - it's good for the soul!

Caroline said...

julie--i thought about sending it to her in an email,but i am pretty sure she would send back some negative email. i just want to enjoy the good right now

eye--i hope she remembers them.

casey--thank you casey for all you said. i loved your last sentence

kerry--no matter what she has done or said, the bottom line is...she is still my mom.

parker--it is very good for the soul.

yankeegirl said...

My Mom was my best friend, too. Thanks for reminding me of some great memories.

Caroline said...

yankeegirl--you are welcome. i am so much happier when i think of only the good memories. and like i told s. the other day....my mom and i had A LOT of good times together.

Lynilu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynilu said...

Sheesh, I ran two comments together!

Good for you. Remember a while back when I said you had some strengths because of that family? You thought I meant you had learned not to trust them or something similar. This is what I meant ... in spite of the trouble, there was a lot of good. I think your mom loved you a lot but with some limitations, probably set by her involvement in her religion. It wasn't unconditional, but it was good love for a little girl who needed a mom.

I'm glad you got the lessons you did. Even the hurtful ones have made you a wonderful woman, Caroline.