Saturday, July 07, 2007

Taking Flight

It seems that I have lived my life for others for as long as I can remember. Today was a day for me to reclaim my life.

For the first time in my life I feel free.

It was 1999 when I first had feelings for a woman. Three years ago I had enough courage to admit that I love women. I knew the backlash from my family was going to be tough and I knew it was going to hurt deep within my soul. Even though I knew it was going to hurt and probably one of the toughest things I have ever done, I don't think I really knew how much I would struggle or how much I would hurt at times.

Yes the struggle has been hard. There were many days when I didn't think I could go on. But somehow I continued to find the strength to go on. On those days when I was really down it would be something small that would give me enough strength to go on. It is true that God gives you what you need at the exact moment that you need it.

I used to doubt God's love for me. As I walked out of the Kingdom Hall for the last time I was told that God (Jehovah) would no longer love me or hear my prayers. Even though I knew they were wrong, there were times I would doubt God's love for me. I now know that the elders that told me that obviously do not worship the same God as I do.

I wanted to do something that was a symbol of the strength I have had the last four months. It wasn't too hard to decide what to do since I have wanted to do this for a while now. So, today I got a tattoo. And can I tell you, I have never been happier.

When thinking about the design it was a clear choice. I have always loved dragonflies because to me they are the most beautiful little creatures that also have a lot of strength. You wouldn't think something so small would be so strong. Just like me, you can't judge them from looks alone.

I also wanted to incorporate yesterdays date. As I mentioned before I love numbers. The number 7 kept coming up and it seemed appropriate that I put the number 7 in the design somehow.

So, here are a few pics of my adventure yesterday.

Here I am getting the tattoo. Joseph did an amazing job and I couldn't be happier. I got the tattoo on my right hip.

Here is the tattoo. I love it!! It is simple, yet says so much. I love this design because it seems the dragonfly is in flight; kind of like me at this point in my life.

One thing I have learned about myself is I am determined. If I say I am going to do something then I will do whatever it takes to complete the project/task. I decided on Thursday that I was going to get a tattoo. I only got nervous yesterday when I was waiting. The place I went is one of the best in town and it's no uncommon for you to have to wait. We got there at noon and we were one of the first in line and still had to wait over two hours. Sitting there for those two hours I did get a little nervous, but I was determined to follow through with what I wanted to do.


I think I was a little nervous because I was afraid that it was going to hurt. But really it wasn't that bad. Now, it is a little sore this morning, but the minute I look at it I forget about the pain.


Just like the dragonfly, I feel that I have finally found my wings. I am ready to take flight, so if you are up for the ride...hang on.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! That is a totally awesome tattoo!!! And I get to be the first to comment on it....woohooo!!

I love it's simplicity and the number 7 looks great on it....good for you for getting one!!

Ain't they grand??? I have 3 of them....done eons ago....love them!!

Audra said...

what a VERY pretty tattoo! i hope that my next tattoo is a dragonfly as well. They are amazingly strong and resiliant little guys, and pack a strong punch!

Unknown said...

A tattoo is a very personal thing, and the more meaning you can give to it, the more you will enjoy it in the coming years. I think you made a good choice with the personal meanings you give to the tattoo.

Congratulations on becoming art!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Wow, that is awesome! I bet you will get another one, once you get one, the thrill to get more is exciting! It looks great, I am happy you are going on with whatever you want out of life!

Lee said...

beautiful tat...I love the concept, congrats :)

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

You're a wonderfully strong and deeply spiritual person. I too struggle with my family, about other issues, but isues are just that, roadblocks. You'll make it. I just have a good feeling.

Hugs,

Nancy

Bella said...

Awesome tat.

Best of luck with all of the continuing changes.

Casey said...

Nice tat. :)

Julie said...

Congratulations! I love the meaning behind it.
I'm still having a hard time believing that any human being would tell another that God doesn't love them or listen to their prayers. Put me in the "Godless Liberal" camp, but it seems as though judgement like that is exactly what Jesus stood up against in his life.

Jen said...

Love the tattoo! I've been thinking about getting one myself..Glad to hear it didn't hurt that much! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I got my tattoo for lots of the same reasons you did too. Mine is a butterfly on my left ankle and I love it still. Let me tell you that when I went to the Kindgom Hall for the first time I got some looks! For other readers, tattoos are frowned upon. I got mine to celebrate my breast reduction surgery which was truly the first time I did something for myself!

yankeegirl said...

Wow! Great tattoo!

Lynilu said...

I'm here!

What a cool tatoo! You know that I've been toying with the idea for a long, long time, and who knows....? Congratulations on the tatoo, your new confidence, and a life that is really, truly yours. :)

Dee said...

LOVE the tattoo! It is just perfect!

Holly said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you!!!
This symbolizes so many things for you!

amy h said...

I thought you might be getting a tattoo! It looks good! I can never think of something that I'd want on my body for the rest of my life -- too indecisive -- otherwise, I'd get one.

SassyFemme said...

Oh very cool! Good for you!

Jamie said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! And I don't even like tatoos! But yours has meaning, and it's really quite beautiful!

Worm1962 said...

very cool! WTG!

Sheila

RMcIntyre said...

I couldnt imagine what you had in mind, what a great idea.....its beautiful.

Patti_Cake said...

I love the tattoo and i'm so proud of you for having the courage to get it. What a wonderful symbolism. For some reason dragonflies seem to love me. They always light on my hands or feet whenever I see one. Strange.

Joel said...

THAT is awresome. AND I am glad to have found you again. I sorta lost you in the shuffle when i went private and then changed my blog around. Glad to see you doing something good for yourself.

Minnesota Nice said...

Oooh now I wish I'd have left the comment I was going to the other day, I was going to ask if you were getting a tattoo!!!

I'm quite sure I will never get a tat, if I were going to it would have happened by now...but I always said that if I did it would be a dragonfly, I agree they are so beautiful!