Saturday, May 19, 2007

Personal Email

I don't know if I ever shared the following story or not, but I am going to share it again.

In 2003 there was a new show on TV called Starting Over. I was unemployed when it first came on, so I started watching it. It involved 7 women living in a house and they were all working on different issues to in a sense start over. There were 2 Life Coaches that coached them through their journeys, but one of them really hit a cord with me. Rhonda Britten was this life coach. I loved the way she talked with the women and the way she challenged them to face their fear and in turn not be so afraid when facing new things in life.

Fast forward to the fall of 2004. Laura and I got word that the producers of Starting Over were going to be in Kansas City to find new members of the Starting Over house. I debated about whether or not to go, but Laura convinced me to go. It had been just 3 months since I had been kicked out of the church and disowned from my family. I went and had my first interview. Later that night one of the producers called me and said they wanted a second interview with me, this time with the camera. So the next morning I went back for the second interview. It lasted about an hour and I was sure they would want a gay ex-Jehovah's Witness for their house. But as it turned out they did not call me again. I was fine with that and moved on with my life the best way I could. To be honest, the prospect of sharing my story and all the emotions that came with that in front of millions of people was very scary.

When Laura and I first broke up I went out and bought Rhonda's book Fearless Loving and read it. It is actually a very good book and I learned a lot from it. But it's a book that I will need to reread since there are times when I take a step back and let fear control my life.

A few weeks ago, I emailed Rhonda asking her advice on how to "get over" the loss of Laura and my family. To my surprise, when I checked my email this morning there was an email from Rhonda herself. I feel honored that she took the time to answer my email and give me some much needed advice.

Once again I realize that God is looking out for me and sends people into my life at the exact moment when I need them. Realizing (or remembering) this puts me more at ease to know that when the time is right, God will reveal that someone special to me.

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

Remember ... it will be in His time, not yours. Patience, Grasshopper.

;-)

pack of 2 said...

I have watched that show also. Rhonda did a great job on the show. I think you will find someone when your heart is ready.

S

Anonymous said...

I know you keep saying you want to meet someone and all I keep thinking is 'why do you need someone'? Is that bad of me? My wish for you is peace sweetie. Whether that be with someone or on your own. You are doing a fabulous job by the way!

Caroline said...

lynilu--i know, i know..i like how you called me grasshopper...hehe

packof2--i also like how you put it..."when my heart is ready"..thanks

traci--i don't think i NEED someone..but i just get really lonely sometimes.

Julie said...

I really, really miss that show. I loved the life coaches and most of the women, and also enjoyed watching the women who didnt seem interested in the coach's help. (Remember Christine?)