Saturday, April 21, 2007

Firsts

Now that I am suddenly single again I am having to relearn how to do a lot of things by myself. I will say it's an adjustment getting used to being by myself again, but I am finding that I am enjoying the time I have by myself. It's kind of nice deciding to do something and not having to tell someone what I am doing or even yet ask if it's ok that I do this. This is the first time in my life that I have done exactly what I wanted and not thought about what anyone else thought. Before Laura there were my parents that had a tight leash on me and always wanted to know what I was doing. It was as if I was a teenager living on my own with the way they kept a close eye on me. I remember when Laura and I first met we were on the phone and my Mother was not able to get through on the phone line. She called my cellphone until I finally picked up and then had a million questions as to why I was not answering the call waiting. So, now that I am single and not under the control of my parents, it feels very good. I still get lonely, but I have a lot of friends that I can call on when I do start to feel lonely.

Yesterday was a day filled with a lot of firsts since being single. First of all, I woke up and decided that I wanted some breakfast. It used to be that when I wanted to eat breakfast out I would just go through a drive-thru and bring it home. The thought of going to a restaurant by myself paralyzed me with fear. I kept thinking "what would people think of me". Well, yesterday I went to a sit down restaurant by myself and ate breakfast. It felt empowering to say with confidence "Table for One". As I sat and ate my breakfast I realized I am going to be just fine by myself or with someone else. Either way I am going to be just fine.

Later in the day I decided that I didn't want to sit around all night, so I was going to go to one of the local gay bars by myself. I headed out around 8:30pm and felt that confidence overflowing. As I walked in I sat down at the bar and ordered my drink. I felt so proud of myself for taking a leap of faith and taking my happiness back into my own control. This bar/club was a little slower then it usually is, but I enjoyed sitting and watching the people. I even got up enough courage to talk to a few people. I then went and sat by the dance floor and had the most pleasant conversation with two of the cutest gay men. It was such a good time that I think I have talked one of my friends to go back with me tonight.

On the way home last night I had my sun roof open, my music blasting and I felt better about myself then I have in years. Right now I am feeling that I am a woman on a mission and I can do anything that I set my mind to. I will find love again. It may not be right away (which would probably be a good thing), but I will find it. A few weeks back someone (and I am sorry I don't remember who) put it so beautifully that I may have to wait for that someone special because God is still preparing her for me. Understanding that allows me to be more patient.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You are doing such a wonderful job. It's lovely to see. Thinking of you...

Lynilu said...

So ... the is life after Laura! WaaaHooo! p0roud of you!

yankeegirl said...

Yay Caroline!!
good for you!

Caroline said...

traci--thamk you so much. it's been an interesting adventure, but I think the fog is finally lifting.

lynilu--this is just the beginning. wait until you see what's next

yankeegirl--thanks so much. it's been fun finding out who i really am.

Monogram Queen said...

Wonderful that you had a great light last night - here's hoping tonight is even better! Hugs Honey

One Messed Up Chick said...

Im proud of you, you are doing so great. Hopefully we can chat soon. Hugs~

Casey said...

I cna't even tell you how much I loved reading this post. Good for you!!!

Caroline said...

patti--yes tonight was very fun. it was another first..my first drag show. i loved it

eye--yes, i am also looking forward to chatting with you. it seems like forever since we have talked

casey--if you were happy to read it, can you imagine my thrill that i am finally realizing that there is life after laura.