Friday, March 02, 2007

Day Trip

Laura and I decided today to drive the 45 minutes west to Lawrence, Kansas. We were both wanting a little road trip and there were a couple stores we wanted to go to. I love Lawrence because most of the stores there are one of a kind with very unique things. I went to the University of Kansas for my masters degree and it had been since my graduation that I had been in Lawrence. It was a fun day, although a bit windy. Here are some pictures of our day trip.
This is the main shopping street in Lawrence. I just love all the stores along this street. I would talk about the stores we went to, but they involve a gift for someone that reads this blog.
Here is KU's mascot, the Jayhawk. I am not sure what a Jayhawk is, but I think it's very cute.
A park on campus. The campus is just beautiful, even in the middle of winter when everything is brown. At my graduation we marched around this pond going down to the stadium. It was so beautiful and I will never forget that walk.
The sky was so pretty with the sun shinning in and the clouds.
Another shot of the clouds and sun. Have I told you how much I love my new camera? It's amazing how better the pictures are.
I thought this car was odd. Can you imagine driving around with your car like this? I can't.

It was a great day and it was great getting out of town for a while. Our days are coming to an end where we can get in the car and just drive somewhere on a workday. I am going to miss these days, but now we know what we have to look forward to when we retire.

16 comments:

Rose of Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Casey said...

Sounds like a great day!

Caroline said...

sharon--i could tell you what we bought, but then i would have to kill you. :) and you are so right about the SUV. i couldn't think of what it reminded me of until you said tony the tiger.

casey--it was a great day. i tried to tempt laura into driving down to see some friends in lousiana, but she said no.

pilgrimchick said...

It's very refreshing just to get out of one's surroundings for a short while--I just did that recently, and although the weather wasn't great, the experience was more than worth it.

As for the car, page Tigger. Check for rubber and springs

Rose of Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynilu said...

The SUV was incredibly out of place in Lawrence! A TIGER?? That is the mascot of MU!!!! Whoever was driving that was very brave!! I'm surprised Laura didn't jump on that TIGER car being in JAYHAWK territory!!

The Jayhawk isn't really a bird. Well, it’s a mythical bird. But the real story is interesting:

“a jayhawk is a fictional bird based on non-fictional occurences. jayhawkers were kansan's during the civil war who would go to missouri and steal back slaves for their freedom. this resulted in much blood shed and the eventual burning down of the city of Lawrence.”

You can find more here:

http://www.rockchalk.com/john/john/jhwk.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/jayhawker

See? Jayhawks really are better than Tigers!! Be sure to tell Laura I said so!

Laura said...

As many of you know, I do not frequent C.'s blog because I feel it's her personal space to vent. However, it is obvious I need to check more often because of how much harassment and overall "misinterpretations" about me which are being posted.

1st- I am not a killjoy. I would've loved to drive to visit our friends. Geez, she makes me sound like an old fuddy-duddy.

2nd- Lyn, leave me alone. LOL I shouldn't have to check this blog merely to defend my school.

Where is the love people? Where is the love?

Caroline said...

slskenyon--we love getting out of town, even if it's just a for a few hours. i wish we had done more of this with my time off

sharon--lol. you are too funny. you know we would have stayed at a hotel :)

lynilu--that car also reminded me of MU, bu it had KU stuff all over the car. i just don't get it. thanks for the story behind the jayhawk. you would think that i would know that story since i graduated from the school

laura--looks like i am going to have to work on my security of this blog. :)

yankeegirl said...

Maybe that tiger striped car was just a misplaced Cincinnati Bengals fan. It looks like their helmets. GO BENGALS!

SassyFemme said...

Love that second shot of the sun/clouds. Like you two, we love to just get in the car and get away, sounds like you had a great day!

Caroline said...

yankeegirl--oh, you are so right about that car. good call

sassy--i also love little day trips. i wish laura and i would do more of them.

Lynilu said...

Hey, Caroline, maybe the car was owned by a "house divided" like yours! A mixture of Jayhawks and Tigers is survival sometimes!

And Laura, anything to make you stay on your toes!! LOL!!

Sonya said...

Sounds like a fun day trip!

Funny, we were just talking today about how we used to do that kind of stuff... until kids. That is the one thing I surely miss.

chapin said...

We saw those same clouds on Friday. Of course we were in a bit more purple place. Sounds like you all had a nice time.

Monogram Queen said...

Awww daytrips ROCK! Looks like a very fun day and I heart taht Jayhawk!

Caroline said...

lynilu--hey, that is a good idea. and i am so sorry about laura. :) i just can't control everything she says..hehe

sonya--i love when we do things on the spur of the moment. we know if we ever had kids that would be out of the question

chapin--of course you saw more purple. lol

patti--it was a great day and i also think the jayhawk is just too cute