Thursday, March 01, 2007

Can't Think of a Title Today

Today I went to my old agency to have lunch with a co-worker as well as pay my premium for my dental insurance. I was told last week that there was a small chance that they were changing dental companies and to wait until I came in today to pay. I walked in today and was told that the insurance did indeed change and it was affective today. I asked how much I needed to pay and I was told the new insurance would not accept me because I was "cobra". Huh? Makes no sense to me. So as of today I have no dental insurance. I am angry with my old employer because I think they had an obligation to inform me that I would no longer have dental insurance after Feb. 28. I've talked with a couple people and they think that legally I should be given 30 days notice regarding the insurance. I am not sure about that, but I still think my old agency had an obligation to tell me. If I had known I would have gone and had those root canals done. Today was just another reason that I was thankful that I no longer work there.

I just have three weeks until I start my new job and will hopefully get benefits. Until then I am not going to worry about it. I have no pain in my teeth and who knows if I even need a root canal.

Last night I woke up at 2:30am with this horrible pain in the middle of my chest. I turned over and Laura was not in bed. I went downstairs and she was having trouble sleeping as well. I told her about the pain and she asked me a few questions about the pain and we decided it was just really bad heartburn. We went out to dinner last night and I ate stuff that my body is no longer used to. I took a couple Tums and went back to bed. Within about 20 minutes the pain was gone. I have never in my life had heartburn like that. It actually scared me. The pain felt like my lungs were hurting. It was the weirdest feeling and I hope to never feel that again.

6 comments:

Casey said...

Wow. How incredibly unprofessional of them to deny you continued coverage as was the terms of your end of employment. It sounds so wrong to me. Have you asked HR at the new job when dental coverage becomes effective and if you would be subject to a waiting period for pre-existing?

Sorry about the heartburn. That sucks. A lot. I had it bad with both pregnancies. OUCH!!!!!!

Rose of Sharon said...

I don't know much about Cobra insurance, but I think it makes sense that your agency should have notified you in advance for the change in dental insurance and how that would affect you. Well, I don't know how much energy you want to devote to checking that out since you are going to get new insurance through your new job. I'm just glad that you're doing okay with your teeth and that you WILL be getting health AND dental insurance.

Caroline said...

casey--i thought the same thing. i am not sure when my new insurance will start. i am hoping day 1. i have heard that woman a lot of times will get heartburn when they are pregnant. i don't think i could handle it that much. since starting our new lifestyle i have not had heartburn once. it's wonderful

sharon--the social work field is so small in KC that i don't want to burn any bridges. so i think i am just going to complain about it on my blog. :)

SassyFemme said...

Yuck, hate heartburn, and have it every time I eat certain foods.

Sucks about the insurance, and hope it kicks in quickly for your new job!

Monogram Queen said...

That totally and completely SUCKS but hopefully you will be okay until your new benefits kick in.

Indigestion can be very scary. I don't get it much anymore but it used to be a HUGE problem for me. 130+ lbs ago.

amy h said...

Something doesn't seem right about that insurance switcheroo. I don't know the ins and outs of COBRA though.

I had a lot of heartburn when I was pregnant with Elise. It sucked. No Indian food. No Mexican food. Basically, nothing good. I hope it doesn't stick around.