Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Getting Older...Dammit

The last few weeks I have been noticing more and more gray hairs in my hair. I am not too happy about that because that really means that I am getting older. I am lucky though because my birthmom's Mother had gray hair by the age of 20. I think I would have freaked if my hair had turned gray when I was only 20. So today we are sitting on the couch and Laura says "oh my gosh you should see the gray in your hair." I didn't think that was too appropriate for her to say. I don't need to be reminded that I am getting older.

Later in the afternoon I decided to do some touch ups on the paint in the bathroom. I started with the white that is on the trim/door frames. While I was in there Ben came in and was rubbing up against me. I got him to go away, but apparently not soon enough. I guess he also noticed the gray in my hair and wanted to be just like his Mama.

Here is a picture of my gray hair. It's not much, but enough for me to notice and apparently Laura.
Another picture of the gray.
Here is Ben's tail. Usually it's all black. Note he has the markings of a skunk.
Another shot of his tail. Does anyone know how to get paint out of cats hair??????

11 comments:

Casey said...

I remember when I had my first gray hair. And then my second. It was so cool. I was in my early 30's and felt darn proud of those two gray hairs. Fastforward 10 years and 2 children and well....I have way more than two gray hairs and they are SO not that funny. I go back and forth whether I should color my hair...I still have't decided. *sigh*

I feel your pain. I really do.

Lynilu said...

In my family, we just accept that grey will happen early. Some color it, most don't. I had grey by early 20s (maybe teens) and both of my kids had grey in teens. But you're only as old as you let yourself behave/feel! so keep up the exercise ... it'll help you feel and act young!!

You know, of course, that I wouldn't color my hair for anything in the world. That's just part of who I am!

Caroline said...

casey--the very first time i found a gray hair was on my wedding day to my ex. Maybe that should have been my sign that it wasn't going to work. I can't decide what to do either...color or not color

lynilu--i am out there at the gym 5-6x a week and it does make me feel alot better...what did you do when part of your hair was gray and the other part was not? i am concerened about the "in between" time

Syd said...

OK, Laura...go away for a minute...

C, why do they think it's acceptable to point out our god damned gray hair? ARGH! Had to get THAT out of my system.

I'm having the same dilemma. To color or not.

Lynilu said...

So what I did when my hair was part grey? Nothing! I played with color a little in my 20s, but not to color the grey ... I just liked to try different looks! After I was about 25, I never colored my hair again. And I won't, but that's just me! I say if you want to color, there isn't anything wrong with it. But having silver hair isn't bad either. Personally, I like the silver and wish it were completely that way.

Lynilu said...

BTW, at your age I had significant silver in my hair, enough to see across the room. So, see, you're in good shape!!

SassyFemme said...

Caroline, my hair started turning gray in my late 20's. It's probably about 40% gray by now. I've been coloring it for so long I can't even remember the last time it wasn't colored. Fran just started coloring her hair in the last couple of years. She's ten years older than me and has less gray hair!

As for the cat-skunk {grin}, ask you vet. So many of the human products or cheapie ones you get at the grocery store can actually hurt them. Your vet will know the best thing to use.

Caroline said...

syd--you go girl. i don't understand why she had to point it out either and then insist on taking a picture.

lynilu--i don't think i mind the gray that much either, but i am just worried about the in between time. i guess time will tell as to how my hair ends up looking

sassy--i think i am going to call the vet today because he keeps looking at his tail like "something's not right here."

Ragged Around the Edges said...

I have a confession: I'd be very, very gray if it wasn't for my chemical dependency. Nothing wrong with a little gray and nothing wrong with covering it up. Either way, you have a choice.

Rose of Sharon said...

Gray hair? It wasn't that noticeable! Remind me not to let Laura sit next to me in case she starts looking at my hair for gray hairs.

Caroline said...

ragged--i had no idea about your gray hairs. i am still thinking about what to do, but i think i have a while to decide

sharon--yea you better not sit too close to you because if she finds one she will tell you and then take a picture of it.