Sunday, January 14, 2007

Who Farted?

As Laura and I were sitting here this morning we suddenly smelled gas. I had just started the water for a bath when we at the same moment smelled natural gas. I get nervous. One of my biggest fears is either fire or a natural gas explosion. I see stories on the news during the winter of homes that explode because of gas leaks. We figure out that the very small smell of gas is coming from our water heater. Yes, this is the water heater that we just replaced in July. We're not sure what to do so we call the gas company. Because we smell gas I actually talk to someone right away. They said they would send someone out within an hour. But I won't rest easy until the gas company says our house won't explode by simply turning a light on or the phone ringing. (BTW, to make sure we called the gas company from our cellphone)

Within 30 minutes the gas company showed up. The person they sent out had NO personality. I am sure he was upset about having to come out on a Sunday and on a day when we are getting ice/snow. He spent 5 minutes downstairs when he asked me to come down so he could show me what he found.

YES we have a small gas leak. The connection between the gas line and the water heater has a small leak. The guy from the gas company told me that we needed to call a plumber to have it fixed, but that there was no danger in using hot water right now. He even took a match to the spot and showed that it will not explode. I really could have done without that demonstration. I kept thinking "we are all going to blow up". I stepped away and put my finger in my ear, which is the sign that I thinks something is going to happen. Nothing did, thank God.

We have a call into the company that put the water heater in just 5 months ago. Our receipt shows there is only a 90 day warranty, but we'll see.

And that my friends, is how our Sunday got started.

A quick shout out to Sharon who finished her first half marathon in Houston this morning. You go Girl!!!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Notice the headline of today's post. Can you tell we've been closed inside for too long not to mention a near-death experience. Okay, not so much...

Casey said...

Holy crap. Scary!!! I'm terrified of that stuff too. I hope youare able to get it fixed without an issue - strange though they the guy could document a small leak but then say "Not our problem to fix." Nothing like feeling safe, eh? *rolling my eyes*

Take good care.

SassyFemme said...

That would have scared the crap out of me!!!

Caroline said...

laura--hopefully tomorrow we will get out. i can't believe it's only been 2 days and you're already tired of me. wow

casey--i was surprised also because i think it just needs some plumbers putty, which we don't have.

sassy--you should have seen me after we realized it was gas we smelled. i was afraid to move because i was afraid the house was going to suddenly explode.

Lynilu said...

I ... don't ... like ... gas ... leaks. I don't care if he lit a match, I ... don't ... like ... gas ... leaks!

Open the window a crack tonight.

Anonymous said...

Eek. If you happen to be out, they have plumber's putty at the regular hardware store. But I know it is hard to get out in this mess.

Caroline said...

lynilu--what a good idea. just cracked a window in the downstairs.

amy--i am thinking that is what it needs, but i think we are going to have someone come out and look at it anyway. just to be sure.

Rose of Sharon said...

I started to read this and I thought you were going to say that Sophie dog farted! I'm glad to hear that everything is okay now.

Thanks for the shoutout! :)