Tuesday, January 23, 2007

34 Years

Yesterday was the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. I have read several blogs that were talking about the anniversary; some for abortion and some against it.

Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness I was taught that abortion is wrong. No questions asked. It is wrong. When it was brought up about a woman being raped and becoming pregnant I was always told, "it's not the baby's fault" and so many other things. When I was about 11 years old there was a woman in our congregation that was working at a local mall. On her way out one night she was raped and became pregnant. At the time she had a boyfriend and they ended up getting married and having the baby. Before the baby was born there was an "announcement" at our congregation about the situation and that we should support her the best way we could. That is about all I know about the situation. I was too young to really grasp what was going on or to ask more questions. I do remember when the baby was born and he was accepted into the congregation and loved like all the new babies were. My Mother used this situation as as a lesson for me. She told me "yes he was here because of a rape, but it was not his fault and he is still loved very much."

My parents also used the fact that I was adopted as a way to teach me about abortion. Abortion became legal 5 months before I was born. My Mother always said, "if abortion was legal when you were conceived there is a good chance you wouldn't be here." I remember using my adoption as a reason why I was against abortion.

Now that I am *free* of the cult thinking, my view on abortion has changed. I often think back to that young lady in my congregation that was raped and became pregnant. Would she have done things differently? Because of the rape did she ever really bond with that child? So many questions, so little answers.

I can't say that I would never have an abortion. If I was raped I think I would find it hard to see beyond the rape and see the child that is indeed half mine. Is that fair to the child?

I pray that I never have to face that situation.

6 comments:

Casey said...

So much to think about. While I am pro-choice to the very core of my being I don't think abortion is something I personally could do. I'm glad it's a choice - I'm thankful it's available and safe but I doubt I would ever be able to do it. But then, I've not been tested like many women in the world. I am fortunate to not know what decision I would ultimately make. I am, however, thankful the choice is out there.

Holly said...

I don't know what I would do. I have always been pro-choice, but I think you have the right outlook.
It's having the option that's important.

Ace of Spades said...

Touchy subject because I am for pro-choice, but if I were raped. Man I don't know what I would do.

Rose of Sharon said...

I'm for the woman's right to choose and I'm against abortion. Confused? Well, I think the real issue is about responsibility, especially for teenage pregnancies. If a teen gets pregnant, then I think having an abortion is an irresponsible solution to a problem that could have been taken care of if they had taken precautions (safe sex, condoms, pill). If a woman is raped or her life is being threatened by being pregnenant, then an abortion is something that may need to be considered.

I know it's not as simple as that, but then, is life?

Monogram Queen said...

There is a lot to think about... I do firmly believe in a womans right to choose. To be a child of rape.. how horrifying..

Minnesota Nice said...

Religion is the single biggest issue here, without all the arguments against choice completely crumble.

If I got pregnant from a rape HELL YESSSSSS, I would terminate.