Monday, December 04, 2006

Mabel

Many of you have asked about the nickname that Laura has for me. I thought I would give a little bit of history of this nickname.

Laura started calling me Mabel pretty much out of the blue last April when we were in Florida. While we were in Key West we were walking across Duval street and I stumbled with my steps. I didn't fall down, but it was pretty close. Instead of helping me, I turn around and Laura is laughing at me. Then all of a sudden she started saying, "We have a Mabel down in the middle of Duval Street". Rest of the trip she called me Mabel. At first I think it kind of irriated me because I was trying to figure out where this nickname came from.

When we returned home she continued to call me Mabel. And then she started calling me Mabel around other people. Everyone seemed to get a kick out of it.

Then in June when we went down to the lake with big sis and her family I realized how often Laura was calling me Mabel. We had rented a Kayak and I was just paddling around and ended up going out pretty far. Suddenly I hear Laura and our 8 year old nephew laughing. Once I got back they told me why they were laughing. When nephew realized I was way out there he said to Laura, "will you look at what Mabel is doing". So now not only was Laura calling me Mabel, but now our nephew was calling me that as well.

Ever since that incident the name Mabel has grown on me. Laura rarely calls me Caroline anymore, unless she is really upset at me. I would never tell her this to her face, but I actually like her calling me Mabel now.

Here is a bit of trivia: If you watched the show Mad About You you know Paul and Jamie named their daughter Mabel. Do you remember what the letters stood for?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I win!

Mothers Always Bring Extra Love

Caroline said...

anonymous--good job, but you only win by revealing who you are.

Lynilu said...

I could be funny and claim it was me, but no, I just now read the post. I did intend to say that phrase, but Anonymous beat me to it! Shucks. Hey, Mabel, give me a heads up next time!! LOL!

Casey said...

I knew what it stood for too but I guess Anonymous got it first.
:)

SassyFemme said...

Didn't know what it stood for, but thanks for telling how you got your Mabel name!

Caroline said...

lynilu--will do lynilu

casey--yep, anonymous got it first..whoever anonymous is

Caroline said...

sassy--i thought people would get a kick out of knowing where the nickname came from.

pilgrimchick said...

I'm glad someone got this right because I never watched the show and therefore, had no idea how to answer your triva question.

I wish someone had a cute name for me...:-(.

Kitty said...

You know what I find funny? That anonymous knows what it stands for but still cant put it all together and spell it right on her blog!

Now that's what's funny! ROFLMAO

Kitty said...

I'm glad Mabel and Pup (and you too Puter) don't know my nickname!

I only like my hubby to call me by it, it makes it extra special when he does.

Monogram Queen said...

I love little stories behind nicknames.. so sweet. I used to watch Mad About You but I didn't remember what Mabel stood for!

Caroline said...

slskenyon--i have tried for a long time to think of a cute name for laura...i am having a hard time finding one for her.

kitty--believe it or not but laura is not the one that answered the question. now i am dying to know the name hubby has for you..you know me..i am just too nosey

traci--i think it's cool that so many people knew what the letters stood for

patti--thanks. i thought the history behind mabel was cute and i am glad everyone seemed to enjoy it