Friday, December 15, 2006

A Few of My Favorite Things


This being only my 3rd Christmas that I "officially" celebrate I may not have as many favorite things about the holidays or traditions. But the traditions that Laura and I have already started are some of my favorite things.

One of the traditions that we have started is whenever we go on vacation or mini trips we always pick up a new ornament. It's fun pulling out all the ornaments when we are putting up the tree and being reminded of all the places we have been as a couple. This tradition started the very first summer we were together. We didn't have a lot of money and we really wanted to get out of town for a few days. We ended up going to Branson for a weekend and it was the best time. I had never been to Branson before and I quickly realized it was the knick knack headquarters of the world. And I am the knick knack queen. On that trip we picked up our first Christmas ornaments. Even though we have gone many other neat places, those first ornaments we bought as a couple in Branson will always be some of my favorite ornaments.


Ever since I can remember I have always loved Christmas music. Even when I was an active Jehovah's Witness I would always listen to the Christmas music they play on the radio stations in KC. There is just something about that music that makes the world seem more at peace. The stations in KC have started playing the music earlier and earlier. One stations started playing the music Nov.1. I think that was a little early, but that didn't stop me from listening. My favorite Christmas tune is "O Holy Night". To me the words are magical.

Since Laura and I don't have any children (yet), we always make sure we pick up presents for the dog and cats. The cats usually get a new thing of the best catnip and some cat treats. Once we put the catnip down they don't care about anything else. The dog on the other hand is just like a small child. The first Christmas we were together we got the dog this stuffed toy. The night before we put it right in front of the Christmas tree and Christmas morning we all came downstairs and the dog went running to the tree and right to her present. She was so excited about that stuffed toy. To this day, this stuffed toy is her absolute favorite toy. Last year she got a new dog bed and this year we got her two new stuffed toys as well as some very yummy dog treats. Sophie's reaction Christmas morning is like having a small glimpse of what our child might do Christmas morning.

And finally one of my favorite things is the time we get to spend with family. I have been blessed with having Laura as my family and then her family accepting me into the family. From day one I have felt like I was part of the family and loved. Christmas day the whole family goes down to Laura's parents where we exchange gifts and eat a wonderful dinner. It's not often that the entire family is able to get together, so those few times a year are always precious. Having been separated from my own family I have realized that family is what you make it. I may have not been born into Laura's family, but you would never know from the way they love and accept me.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Beautiful post. Sounds like you're making lovely memories together.

SassyFemme said...

You're right, family IS what you make it. Now with my parents gone I'm much closer to Fran's side of the family... actualy she's closer to her family now, too. You know, I think part of me believes that we're where we're meant to be, with the people we're meant to be with (in this case our respective wife's family), to experience whatever it is we're menat to. If that makes any sense.

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories, I hope it continues(making and sharing them) for a long, long time.

Caroline said...

sharon--thanks so much.

sassy--that made perfect sense. thanks for sharing


holly--i hope that as well

Anonymous said...

"O Holy Night" is one of my favorites, too. That, and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. Elise prefers "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" and "Jingle Bells."