Saturday, December 16, 2006

Wide Awake

Here it is midnight and Laura is in bed asleep and I am wide awake. I should be tired because we have had a busy three days, but here I am not able to sleep. I guess I will write in the hopes that I will soon become sleepy and ready for bed.

After having taken 1/2 day on Thursday and then already having asked off for the afternoon on Friday I decided what the hell I might as well not go in at all on Friday. Really what's the worst thing they will do...fire me...sorry already done. And it was wonderful not feeling guilty at all about not going in. Laura and I decided that Friday was going to be our test run of our days when I am home. We got up, made some breakfast and were at the gym by 9:15am. It was so wonderful going to the gym first thing in the morning. Not only was it not that busy, but my back/leg were not stiff at all. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and then Laura showed me the weight lifting program she is doing. All of it felt wonderful, but I knew I was going to be sore later in the day or the next day. After the gym we came home and cleaned the entire house since we were having little sis and hubby over for a little get together. After cleaning for 3 hours it was time for a nap. I laid down for about an hour and then got up to do some last minute cleaning. We had a wonderful time with little sis and hubby. We sat around and talked about Florida and all the things we are going to do while we are there. I told Laura when I was told that my job was ending that the one thing I didn't want to do was to cancel our trip to Florida. Smart planning on our part in the past couple of years has enabled us not to cancel our trip, even if I don't have a job by April. So, Friday was a wonderful "test run" of our days when I am not working and it was a huge success.

Today was also a busy day. We had our 9 year old nephew the whole day so his parents could finish their Christmas shopping. We took him for pizza and to do a little Christmas shopping for his parents/brother/grandparents. It was fun watching him pick out little things for them. One of the stops we had to make was to Best Buy. On Friday afternoon while we were cleaning I went to touch our cordless phone and shocked the hell out of it. After that shock not only was my hair a little frizzy, but the phone didn't work. Having just received a $15 rebate from Best Buy we thought we would go look at phones. Our nephew thought we should by the one that was really cool looking at only $200. I tried to talk Laura into it, but she thought the $25 phone would do just fine. With our rebate we only paid $10. Not too bad for a phone. When we got home I opened the box and realized that there was something missing from the box....the base/answering machine. I couldn't believe it. So back to the store I go in hopes they don't think I am trying to rip them off. Luckily there was no problems and I was out the door in just 10 minutes. As Laura, our nephew and I were checking out, the cashier looked at our nephew and said something about his Mom and then looked at me. Our nephew told the cashier, "No, she's not my Mom, she's my aunt. I am spending the day with my aunts today." Nephew had never called me his aunt and it felt really good being seen by him as his aunt. Make sense?

Once home the three of us played a game of LIFE (my favorite) and watched some of the show "Little People Big World" (Laura's favorite). It was a good day, but once nephew left Laura and I realized how tired we were. It takes a lot to entertain a 9 year old for an entire day. But it was fun and we were so glad to be able to spend this time with him.

Tomorrow we go to the gym and then watch the Survivor finale. I realized that all the stress going on this past week has been wonderful for my diet. I lost 3lbs this past week. I think part was the stress, but also I have been gonig to the gym at least 3-4x a week now. Maybe that's why I can't sleep. Too much exercise. Probably not.

Well, I am finally finding myself a little sleepy. I better head to bed since in 9 hours we have an date with the gym.

Night everyone.

8 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

Sounds like your test run day went great! I hope you were able to get some sleep! Have a great whatever is left of the weekend :)

Andi said...

Wow! You sure had a busy and productive day!!!

I love the part of your blog where you nephew refers to you as his "Aunt". I never tire of hearing "Aunt" in front of my name by both of my nieces. I feel like its my most special title.

So glad you're still coming to Florida. The Keys are wonderful and I know you'll have a grand time. My oldest brother lived in Key West for years and we used to go there all the time. He'd always laugh as me and call me a "tourist" because I wanted to do all the Duval Street thing!

Caroline said...

eye--it was a wonderful day. i am really looking forward to my days off.

andi--it was a busy day, but it was a lot of fun. since my own family doesn't talk to me (and tat includes 4 nephews) i really miss hearing "aunt" caroline. so today was very special when nephew called me aunt.

Casey said...

I think it was great that he referred to you as his aunt. I remember so well the first time D's niece referred to me as her aunt (as in "This is my Aunt Casey") - it was the coolest feeling ever! I felt so well...validated, I guess.

Glad you've had a good weekend!

(PS...since you asked over on my blog.....we stayed out for about 2 hours. Travel time to and from the theater plus the movie. I still missed the munchkins terribly but I was distracted by the fun movie, Santa Clause 3. If you havent' seen it yet, go!!:))

SassyFemme said...

The aunt thing totally makes sense! I had the same thing with Andrew, Fran's nephew, last year. It was the first time I met him, and by the end of the weekend I was Aunt Ann. It was sooo cool!

Caroline said...

casey--validated is the word i was looking for last night. glad you guys had a good time out for your b-day

sassy--last summer our nephew asked laura if i was his aunt and she told him yes, but this is the first time i had heard him call me aunt caroline. it was a cool feeling.

Anonymous said...

You guys are doing an awesome job to still be losing weight during the holidays!

You and Laura's nephew sounds like a pretty cool kid!

Caroline said...

amy--lots of time at the gym has helped plus the stress of becoming unemployed has helped also. our original goal was to just maintain,but I am very happy with our results. our nephew is one cool kid...