Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Child of Love

On my post on Halloween Sassy asked me about my response to Laura and I have children. I have found lately that a lot of people have been asking if Laura and I are going to have children. I love being asked that question because I feel that people are taking my relationship with Laura seriously. In the past two weeks we have had 4 different people ask us what our intentions are in regards to having children. Here is my view on Laura and I having children.

As long as I can remember I have wanted to be a Mother. My cousin and I used to play house and we would always have lots and lots of babies. Part of playing house was always pretending like we were in church and having the babies to care for while we were in church. My cousin and I would sing the songs from the church and as it always happens the baby would start crying during the song and we would have to get up with it. That was some good times. So, from the time I was a toddler I have always wanted to be a Mother. When my ex husband and I were married we also wanted children, but we felt it was better to wait to have them until we were done with school. A year before we graduated I went off the pill. I never got pregnant and I truly believe it was a blessing in disguise. I wonder if I would have found the courage to be who I am if I had a child to raise as well.

As I was "finding" myself I still felt that being a Mother was one of the most important things I wanted to do in my life. But I struggled to see how that would happen. Some of the people I dated were not real good parenting role models, so again it was probably good that I never became pregnant. When Laura and I got together we talked about children from the beginning. We both agreed that having children was something we wanted to revisit a few years down the road.

Now it's a "few years" down the road and the topic of children has become a serious conversation in our household. We have discussed who would carry the child, how we would obtain the other half of the necessary items to produce a child and so many other things. There are many thoughts that come with seriously thinking of having a child. Would our child suffer because of their parents being gay? How much will our life change once we have a child? Can we financially afford to have a child? What legal issues will we encounter once the child is born?

So many questions and not enough answers. Laura and I have a lot of love for each other and I know for a fact that our child would be loved more then anything in this world. I know for a fact that Laura and I can raise a child in a home filled with love, respect and compassion. But is that enough? The world can be a cruel place. We currently live in the "heartland" where gay relationships are not completely accepted. We have a some friends that are gay and they have a ten year old daughter. This little girl is so loved and is so educated on what the world is really like. Part of me thinks it's hard on a child so young to be so aware at how mean the world can be. At ten years old she is so mature and seems so happy with her little family.

Laura and I deserve the right to have a child if that's what we decide. But our child also deserves to be treated with respect and dignity no matter who makes up his/her family. At this time the world does not believe our child has the same rights as a child born and raised in a heterosexual relationship. It all seems unfair to me. But I also promise myself that just because some people in the world do not support my family, it's not going to stop me from doing what I feel so strongly about.

I also need to remind myself that there are still good people in the world. There are people that love me and Laura and would love our child completely. Laura and I would have full support from our family and would accept our child into the family just as they have our newest nephew. Not everyone is bad in the world and I refuse to live my life by fear.

I live my life with love as my guiding force. I want to be able to teach my child this same important lesson.

Love is all you need.

20 comments:

Lynilu said...

Caroline, what a beautiful post. Do you realize that although there were a lot of bad parts of your childhood, you were taught love from way back. How could a child play like that if she doesn't know love? Your freedom from the JW dogma and Laura's love have brought it to full bloom. Your heart has been made of love from the beginning, and now it is bigger and better. Hugs.

Caroline said...

lynilu--laura always tells me that I am one of God's chosen ones. She feels that God has been with me throughout everything and he is the one that taught me all about love and how to love others. i couldn't agree more.

Casey said...

As a lesbian mother of two I can tell you this: if having a child(or more than one) is what you and Laura want to do; then you should do it. The only way to change the world is to well...change the world. You shouldn't decide not to share your love with a child because of fears of the outside world. Our children WILL change the world simply by being who they are.

And if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I carried both our children and both kids were conceived at home via anonymous donor (via a sperm bank). So seriously - please feel free to pick my brain if you'd like. :)

Casey said...

By the way - parenthood is truly the hardest and most rewarding job I've ever done. It's filled with joy and laughter and love and it's incredible. But certainly not without challenges and frustrations. If you would like an honest, no holds barred look at parenthood, I'm happy to share. I'm also happy to only share the good stuff. :) :) :)

Caroline said...

casey--i just read your responses to Laura and don't be surprised if you get an email from us to discuss more some of the challenges you and Dakota have had in having children. Thank you so much for the wonderful words and the encouragment.

One Messed Up Chick said...

Caroline, You have a wonderful way of expressing your thoughts. As a mother & lesbian, I have to tell you that I go through the same thoughts everyday in reguards to my children. If you read my last post you will see what I mean. But we can't live our life's for other people or what other people think. You and Laura would be loving and caring parents and thats all that matters. Hugs

Anonymous said...

this is disgusting. get a grip on life and god. it is adam and eve and not adam and steve. gross

Anonymous said...

It really sounds like you are thinking this through -- so much more than so many people who somehow end up with children! It upsets me that the laws in our country wouldn't protect your family like they do any other family. But the only way to change these things is to take them head on. (like Casey said!) And you can't let the ignorant choose your path for you.

Having a child will certainly change your life, that is for sure! But it is a joy.

Caroline said...

eyeoftherainbow--thank you so much for the compliment. just an fyi..i don't know where your new blog is. im me and let me know

anonymous--you seem to be using the same terms as a jehovah's witness, so i am guessing this is you MOM.(i also know it's you because of the tracker) Glad to see you come by, but you need to realize I do have a grip on life. you may think it's gross, but if we did have a child you are calling your grandchild gross. Nice.

amy--thank you so much for your comment. we also agree that things should be taken head on..and hopefully that is what we will do someday.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is hysterical about Adam and Steve. Gee, I've never heard that one before. I mean it is so original-NOT. Another regurgitated line, not at all surprising from someone who can only recite misconstrewed dogma. Go ahead, think for yourself, we'll be here to support you.

Are you that ignorant to think you are anonymous on her blog? AND you know who I am.

Minnesota Nice said...

I'm getting really pissed at these losers that leave hateful comments here. Losers!!!!!

I have no doubt that you and Laura would raised well-loved, moral, decent human beings. I always encourage people to consider adoption since much like with pets, there are so many who desperately await good homes, but whatever you do I know you will be a loving, giving parent. No question in my mind :)

Caroline said...

anonymous--beautifully said. see you at home tonight. :)

sandra--yea I am pretty tired of these comments as well. people just need to get a life. thanks for your support. i'll have to post sometime about why i don't want to adopt.

stacy said...

Caroline, more power to you and Laura. My partner and I have 2 girls. Your mother is the one who will be missing out. How pathetic! My girls are blessed to have 2 grandmothers who love and adore them.

Caroline said...

stacey--thanks for stopping by. my mother is so filled with hate that she does not realize she is the one that will be missing out. she just doesn't understand what love really is all about.

Kitty said...

Hey Anonymous I've never met you but I want you to know, you are the biggest hypocrit!

You are the one loosing out, not only on your daughter's love, but if they do decide to have a child, something YOU dont have a CHOICE in is that YOU WILL BE IT'S GRANDPARENT! Like it or not, it will be YOUR GRANDCHILD.

Throw that relationship aside like you have your very own daughters, YOU WILL HAVE TO ANSWER TO GOD!

You are the mother every abandon child despises.

GO READ YOUR BIBLE A LITTLE MORE OLD WOMAN, IT IS GOD'S JOB TO JUDGE, NOT YOURS OR YOUR CONGREGATION!

YOU MAKE ME WANT TO PUKE!

Caroline said...

kitty--that was so beautifully said. thanks for your unending support. you're the sister-in-law i've always wanted.

Sonya said...

We also live in the "heartland" and are raising three wonderful children.

Caroline said...

sonya--would love to talk with you on some of the challenges you have faced being a gay family in the bible belt.

Ace of Spades said...

We have a beautiful son and live in KC as well. Yeah its hard at times but its the most amazing feeling when you look into your childs eyes and they say I Love You. Don't worry about what other people think, like I have to tell my girl all the time, live your life and be happy. The more in your life the merrier. Right? So have a baby, or two, and be happy. Lots of hugs and prayer.

And your family are the ones that are missing out, not you.

Caroline said...

ace--thanks for your input on this. it's nice hearing from someone that lives in our area about this topic. thanks.