Sunday, October 29, 2006

Our Pumpkins

As usual we have had a very busy weekend. Thank goodness we got an extra hour of sleep last night, otherwise I think we would have been exhausted. The weekend started out on Friday when I got off work and having to stand in line at the DMV for an hour and half trying to get Laura's car tagged. Luckily there were two very amusing people standing in line with us. One was a man in his late 60's telling us how he didn't seem to have a problem with marijuana and that when he was in Vietnam he had some of the best pot ever. He really made our long wait in line entertaining. Note to self: when we have to renew our tags in 2008, don't wait til the last week of the month. After standing in line for what seemed forever we didn't feel like going home to cook so we were off to TGIFridays for dinner. Dinner hit the spot. Then we were off to Wal-Mart for some last minute Halloween shopping for the nephews we were going to see the next day. I am still trying to figure out how we spent $90 on junk.

Saturday morning we woke up and went to Weight Watchers. Now it had been two weeks since we had been and I was at least expecting a little weight loss. NOPE. I actually gained .8lbs. Damn. The lady there didn't seem to concerned and said that I should not be upset about that. I did ask if I could take off all my clothes to weight in and she looked at me like, "huh?" It was worth a shot. We then came home and waited for the Geek Squad to come by to connect our laptop to our other computer and printer. They were in and out of our house in just one hour. Then it was off to the south where we were visiting Laura's family and my oldest nephew. Taking in baskets of Halloween fun to our nephews is always fun and I love seeing the expressions on their face when we show up. Add some homemade caramel apples and we were the favorite aunts all around. By 3pm we headed home and again decided that we were starving and wouldn't make it home because we were so hungry and stopped at Ryan's for their buffet. It was good and I managed to fill up on salad before heading to the comfort food. I had never been to Ryan's and found it very tasty and I look forward to going back. Here are some pictures of what we have done today.
We bought two pumpkins for this year and decided today was the day to carve them.
Here is Laura carving her pumpkin.

Here is my finished product. I picked the easiest of the patterns because I am still a "rookie" when it comes to carving. I think it turned out pretty good if I say myself.


Here is Laura's final product. She decided to go with a kitty cat in honor of our strays. I can't wait to see them all lit up tonight.



7 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

Those are neat looking pumpkins! Ours are very plain :)

M said...

i love the kitty-pumpkin. how cute!

i always tend to spend WAY TOO MUCh at Wal-Mart, too.

Lynilu said...

I wish I were there to see the pumpkins in person! they are great!!

On your next visit to DMV, go to the Lee's Summit office. You get to take a number and then sit and watch TV until your number is called!!! Beats standing in line!!

Anonymous said...

Great pumpkins! I love those carving kits -- the little saws are so much easier to use than giant knives. Our pumpkin has already been overtaken by mold on the inside. I guess we carved it too early. :)

SassyFemme said...

Great job on the pumpkins!

Isabel said...

Oh I love your pumpkins.

Caroline said...

onecrazylady--thanks. we had fun carving them today

manda--we can never get out of walmart with less then $50 in junk

lynilu--thanks for the idea on the dmv. will remember that in two years

amy--we also love the little kits. this year they came with a little roller with paint to mark the lines. so much easier.

sassy--thanks. we had so much fun today carving them

isabel--if you love our pumpkins, wait til you see our decorations at x-mas.