Wednesday, October 11, 2006

National Coming Out Day 2006



In celebration of National Coming out Day I decided to delight my readers with my personal "coming out" story. I think I have shared bits and pieces, but never the whole story in one piece.

Growing up I knew about gays, but it was never an option for me. I would go to summer camp during the summers when I was young and I remember thinking "I wonder what I would do if another girl flirted with me?" I was told that I was suppose to like boys and eventually get married and have kids. Again there were no option but to do that. I wouldn't say that I was boy crazy in high school, but I did have boyfriends. Once I entered into college I still dated boys. Then in 1994 my best friend from high school told me about this thing called email. My family had a computer and I signed up for Prodigy. That is where I met my ex-husband. Long story short, we chatted for months and months and then ended up getting married.

I was miserable in this marriage. When we got married I was wearing a size 12. Six months after we got married I had gained 40lbs. I hated this life that I had created. I remember working with this guy that was gay and he had moved to Kansas City from small town in Missouri and I remember thinking, "I love how he is doing what his heart is telling him to do."

After I got my bachelors degree I started working at a particular social service agency. I loved working there. About 3 months after I started working there I met this lady that worked as a social worker for the state. I instantly felt something that I had never felt before. It was the most wonderful feeling I had ever felt. I did anything to be around this person. We would hang out after work and talk on the phone. But I was still married. I was so torn as to what to do. Plus being a Jehovah's Witness made it even more difficult. I remember telling my ex-husband about having feelings for this woman and he was very upset. His way of dealing with it was hooking up with another woman. I was just friends with this woman and nothing physical had happened. Within a few months my ex and I decided that this marriage wasn't working and we should probably go our separate ways.

At this time I was working with this girl at my job who was married. I talked to her one day about the feelings I was having for this other woman. She became a really good friend to me. One day after work I took her home and next thing I know she was kissing me. This was the first time I had kissed a woman. I immediately knew this was who I was. Kissing this person felt so right. I had never felt that kissing a guy.

After ex left I thought I knew what I wanted. I had just been kicked out of the church for the first time and I was dating a woman that I met online. I liked this woman, but it didn't feel like forever. We lasted just a few months.

After that I was very confused and went back and forth between men and women. My heart was telling me that I was gay, but then the church was telling me that I was wrong and that a life as a gay person is wrong. I just didn't know what to do.

This confusion led to depression. In the whole process of me trying to figure out who I was I went back and got my masters. After I got out of school with my masters I was pretty sure that I was gay. Then in the fall of 2002 I crashed big time. I was depressed and had a full breakdown. If it weren't for Lynilu and her late husband I don't know if I would be here. I just didn't want to live if I had to live my life as a straight Jehovah's Witness.

For two years (2002-2004) I didn't date anyone. In July 2003 I lost my job and spent 6 months on unemployment. During that six months I healed my soul. When I went back to work at the end of 2003 I was so much better mentally. For the first time in my life I felt content with where I was. It was then that God sent me the love of my life.

May 7, 2004 Laura came into my life. 3 weeks later we had our first date. We have never been apart since then.

My parents knew instantly that something was different since I was not calling them as much and I was not available to be their little servant. Finally on July 4, 2004 I told my parents that I was gay. That was the last time that I had any kind of conversation with my parents.

I have no regrets for living my life for me. Those times when I was alone wishing that I had someone to share my life with I had in my mind what I wanted that person to be. Laura meets and exceeds all those expectations.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the one that introduced you to e-mail? If so, sorry for leading you down that whole chain of events! :)

I'm so glad that you are happy with yourself and Laura now -- it has been a rough road.

Anonymous said...

Happy Coming Out Day! :)

SassyFemme said...

It's impossible to live a lie, and be happy and at peace within ourselves. I think that all roads, even the unhappy ones, led us to where we are today. It sure seems like you're in an idyllic spot in life now! I'm glad for you!

Caroline said...

amy--don't be sorry. i don't regret anything that has happened in my life.

casey--thanks

sassyfemme--beautifully said

traci--yes, my ex was also a jw.

Monogram Queen said...

Happy Coming Out Day Hon. So glad that you did and are the better for it. Your'e families loss. You know my thoughts on that. It's sad though.

Lynilu said...

You know what? It tells me you're really healing when you say, "I hated this life I created." No blaming, just recognition of a fact. You are growing and becoming the most awesome person. Good for you. Be happy, girl. You deserve it.