Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Car Rides & Odd Blogs

This is going to be a tough week for eating healthy. Yesterday I took a co-worker to lunch since Friday is her last day. We went to a local burger joint (aka grease joint) for lunch. I opted for the Gyro instead of a cheeseburger. I think that was an excellent choice given my options. I will tell you it was one of the best Gyro's I have ever had. When I told Laura what a Gyro was she was shocked that I would eat Lamb. I tried to explain to her that I wasn't eating Little Bo Peep flock, but she has no desire to try one. For dinner we had a salad to make up for all the points I used at lunch. Tomorrow is an all staff lunch for this co-worker and we are having the best Chinese in Kansas City. Next to Mexican food, Chinese is my favorite food. It's going to be a tough week, but mighty tasty.

Sophie-dog is recovering very nicely from our camping trip. Before this camping trip she LOVED car rides. Well, she liked the idea of going for a car ride. Once in the car she would start shaking, etc. Since we've been home I have said to Sophie in my very excited voice, "You wanna go for a car ride?" Sophie looks at me and then runs upstairs to the bedroom. I think she has gotten "you wanna go for a car ride" and "time for bed" all confused.

In my attempt to entertain myself at work I have found this whole world of blogs that are devoted to the die hard Christians that are raising little baby making factories. Many of the girls that are not married and still living at home call themselves "stay at home daughters". Huh? They have decided at the young ages of 13, 14 and so on to be Mothers and wives. They feel that their goal in life is to be a Mother and to take care of every need that their husband has. They believe in the view that they will have as many kids as God provides. Which turns into very large families. It's not uncommon for these families to have 9, 10, or more kids. They depend on the older kids (the girls) to "raise" the younger ones. Really, when you have 10 kids can you really devote a lot of time and attention to them. And how fair is it that you are responsible for raising your siblings. The women are allowed to only wear skirts, no jeans or pants allowed since this is considered not modest for women. There really are some unique people out there. You know I grew up with just one brother. Even with just two kids I know there were times when my parents didn't have as much time to spend with us on a individual basis. I can't imagine trying to squeeze in enough time for 10 kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me either. Two is more than enough for me most days.

Trop said...

They have to have their "quiver full," don't ya know?

SassyFemme said...

Oh heck, when the teen years hit, one was enough for us!

Fran and I are LOLing at Sophie running upstairs when you ask her about the ride!