Friday, October 27, 2006

God Always Provides

I am constantly amazed at how God always provides for me. Going through the day sometimes I forget, but then something happens and I am reminded.

Last April when we were going through the bathroom remodel and the crisis with Ben missing I had a very good friend going through something horrible. I met this friend at my current job and we worked together for just six months, but we have continued to be friends throughout. Before she left her job here her partner of 14 years was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Her last few months here were not good ones due to her partner going through countless surgeries trying to remove the tumor. Finally in April 2005 she decided that she needed to be home with her partner and their 9 year old daughter. I was sad to see her go, but knew she needed to be with her family more then to be here.

In December 2005 the tumor came back. Within weeks her partner was in the hospital with more surgeries trying to remove the tumor. Brain surgery is very hard on the body and her partner suffered greatly. In April her partner went back in the hospital and did not leave. Right in the middle of the bathroom remodel hell, L's partner passed away. That Friday I went up to the hospital to say a last goodbye to L's partner. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, besides saying goodbye to my own Grandmothers. Seeing L and their daughter so upset and in turmoil as to how they would go on with their lives without V was almost too much to see. As I was leaving the hospital L was talking to me about the upcoming funeral and how stressed she was about paying for it. A year without working to take care of her partner had taken a toll on their finances. L was so upset that she felt she couldn't provide a proper funeral for V and she just didn't know what to do. Even the most simple funeral is in the thousands. Without even thinking I pulled out my checkbook and wrote her a check to help with some of the costs. I knew that a little bit of my help might take some of the stress off L and that was the only thing I could think of that would make L feel a little stress in a moment of unbelievable stress and sorrow. The money was given to her with no intentions of repayment. I knew there would never be a moment in my life where I would need that money more then L at that moment.

Wednesday I got a call from L who said she wanted to meet us for dinner. Since April we've been trying to get our families together, but something always seemed to come up. Thursday night was perfect for both of us. I knew it was going to be good to see L and her (now) 11 year old daughter.

At dinner, L explained that V's life insurance had finally paid and she was wanting to pay back all those that helped for the funeral. I explained that the money was never given with the intention that it would be re payed. I was simply doing what a friend does for another friend. She knew that, but said she really wanted to pay us back. Out of respect for her and her feelings towards the funeral I took the check.

It's times like this that I am constantly amazed at how God provides for us. This coming month we have more expenses in regard to my teeth. Another root canal and 2 crowns equals almost $1500. If I just allow Him to provide for me, He never lets me down. Laura and I had worked out a way to pay for all the dental work, but things were going to be tight. Add to that expenses to tag and pay the taxes on Laura's car it was going to be a very tight month. Now the financial burden is lifted and now I just need to learn to rely on God all the time.

I must never forget: God always provides for my family.

5 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I know I don't talk much about religion or my beliefs on my blog, but I have very strong, intense beliefs. I just tend to be quiet about them. Anyway, I'm in complete agreement with you. There's never been a time that I've doubted God would be there to help me or us. Things do seem to work out the way they're meant to be, and for the good. I'm at a point in my life now where my beliefs are probably stronger than they've ever been, and I think I understand, to a small degree, what it means to turn things over to Him... yet still working hard to achieve what needs to be (ie, upcoming test).

You're a VERY special friend and a very kind soul to have helped L at a time she needed it the most. Good begets good.

One Messed Up Chick said...

You have a great way with words. I look forward to reading your thoughts everyday! This is a subject I don't talk about much, but I have to agree with everything you said!
You are a wonderful friend to help L out. You have a big heart!

Unknown said...

You are an amazing person with a kind and giving heart. I am proud to consider you an on-line friend.

Lynilu said...

That is, simply said, very cool. For everyone. You are a dear.

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--thank you so much for the compliment.

onecrazylady--i was just doing what any friend would do, but thank you for the compliment

casey--thank you and i also consider you a very good online friend

lynilu--thank you for the kind words. love you.