Monday, September 04, 2006

Run-in With a Jehovah's Witness



This morning I was sitting out on my front steps minding my own business when I saw the familiar local Jehovah's Witnesses come around the corner. I quickly grabbed my camera for a photo opportunity. I think they were too consumed in their "we are better then everyone else" to see I was taking their picture. I sat out there wondering if they were going to come up to my door. Sure enough the women you see in this picture came walking up to our door. It turned out to be a very interesting conversation.

When she walked up I said "let me guess, you're a Jehovah's Witness" and her reply was "how did you know?" First of all, how would someone not know. I proceeded to tell her that I knew because my whole family are JW's. I listed off some of my family and of course she knew them. She then told me that she was unofficially my auntie and I needed to give her a hug. WTF!! She said my Mom and my Mom's sister have adopted her. She then tried to give me the Watchtower and I told her that I wouldn't read it. I told I was disfellowshipped and expected her to walk away nicely. Usually when I tell them I was disfellowshipped they run as fast as they can. Much to my surprise she stayed and wanted to preach to me more. We probably talked for 30 minutes. Here are some of the points from our discussion.

*She doesn't know who Mother Theresa is.

*She informed me that it was nice that my family was allowing me to stay in my Grandmothers house. I nicely informed her that they aren't letting me do anything. I bought this house 8 years ago.

*I was causing the separation from my family and if I would just follow Jehovah's way then we would have a relationship again.

*That I come from a long line of good Jehovah's Witnesses and that it must be my behavior causing the distance from my family. Because to her my family is very nice and loving.

After she left I was kind of shell shocked. She asked if she could invite me to the Kingdom Hall. I told her she could, but I wouldn't attend. She then asked if she could pick me up. I told her no. She then asked if she found something for me to read if she could bring it by. I told her that was fine. I don't know why I told her she could bring something by. I will not read it and I really don't want her coming back to our house. I think I didn't want to be rude and felt by telling her no she would think I was rude. It was weird.

This was also the first JW that has come to my door that I didn't say I was gay. Laura asked why I didn't tell her I was gay and that was the reason I was disfellowshipped. I have no answer for that. I think I felt like I didn't want to tell her ALL my business. I did tell her that I have never been happier in my life. She asked me with a weird look on her face, "doing what?" I wanted to say "fuck you bitch". I told her I am happy because I am surrounded by people that love me for me, not my religion.

7 comments:

Lynilu said...

I think it is interesting that she talked to you under the circumstances. Wanna borrow my sign??? (For everyone else, I have a sign on my door that isBRIGHT red and BRIGHT yellow that says, "NO SOLICITORS, INCLUDING RELIGIOUS.") It works well!! Oh, except for the Baptists who have left a couple of flyers.

pilgrimchick said...

That's amazing. It's a phenomenon I consider to be "enlightened ignorance"--the idea that they are somehow "enlightened" to the "right way" and now have to go and tell everyone else about it. You have a happy life, and good for you. Many like her, as you know and mentioned here, only have a happy life because they are walking that "right way" and if they were to diverge, then, well, that happiness will dissolve for them. Perhaps for some, ignorance is bliss.

Kitty said...

If she brings the "something" to read back for you, hand her your business card with your blog address written on it. Tell her "Here's something from me for you and all your followers to read".

That is another reason why I am so happy moving out here! Not one solicitor in over a year. YEAH

One Messed Up Chick said...

That woman has some guts, that is amazing! Im glad you ensured her that you are the happiest you have ever been :) She'll probably run right back to your mom and tell her. Good, I hope she does, she needs to know how happy you are :)

Caroline said...

lynilu--i just might need to borrow your sign. i had a "feeling" that they would come around yesterday. and when i saw them come around the corner i was ready for them

slskenyon--your comment was beautifuly put. some do like to live in ignornance

kitty--great idea. i should give her my blog address. although, a lot of jw's don't use the internet because it's "bad". lucky you with not having anyone come by

onecrazylady--i am pretty sure she will tell my mom about running into me. i really don't care

Minnesota Nice said...

We used to have to go Soul-winning (door knocking) and were told to ignore 'No Soliciting' signs, because we weren't selling anything, we were GIVING them Jesus!

I have no words for the rudeness of someone who would say "doing what" to you, or any of the other crap she said. I can't stand manipulative controlling people with a little bit of religious learnin' and a whole lot of ignorance and ego. They're the worst kind of people.

Monogram Queen said...

Oh she has an agenda now, you are probably a project to her. I can't like those organized religious automatons.
You were very polite, much politer than I would have been. I like Lynilu's sign :)