Thursday, September 28, 2006

As Our Road Divides

I have thought about what I can write here to show how much I am going to miss Lynilu, but I don't think I can put it into words. Here are some funny memories of the times we've spent together and why I treasure her friendship so much:

*Because of her I became addicted to dominoes. I had never played before Lynilu and her late husband showed me. We would spend hours playing that game. I remember sitting by the phone one evening hoping they would call. When they did you would have thought I had won the lottery.

*All the meals we've shared. Whether it was going out to eat (which we did a lot), or sharing a meal in each others home we always had a good time. When I was getting my masters I ate over at their house a lot. I think that was their way in helping me get through graduate school. And it really did help me.

*She was always a helpful neighbor: looking in on the cats while we were gone, keeping an extra good eye on the house when we were not there, feeding the strays for us, taking in our paper, and the list goes on and on...

*She was there for me when I was trying to figure out who I was whether that was gay or straight or a Jehovah's Witness or a proud EX-JW.

*When I secretly bought a x-mas tree 4 years ago she also secretly bought me some ornament's to go on this tree.

*She is always honest with me even when I don't want to hear the truth.

*She sat and listened to me for months and months when I was seriously depressed and felt I had nothing to live for. She reminded me that there was a lot for me to live for. And bless her heart if I didn't test her on that and made her list the things I had to live for.

*She put up with all the people I brought home during the transition period after my ex and I split up. She teases me now that she never knew if I would bring home a guy or a girl. Boy was I confused.

*She always remembers my birthday

*She always brings treats to Sophie-dog and loves her just about as much as I love her.

*She has always been on my side whether it was going through the divorce or the problems with my parents.

This is just a few of the memories. It's been a wild 8 1/2 years with Lynilu as my neighbor. Our friendship has survived depression, graduate school, divorce, death, changing of careers.

Thank you for all the love, support and friendship the past 8 1/2 years. You will be missed in so many ways in Kansas City. Don't forget about us and we hope you come back to visit often. Drive safely to your new destination and remember to always follow your heart.

7 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Thanks for sharing Lynilu with us through your eyes and experiences (and blog). She's the kind of friend we all should have in our lives.

Minnesota Nice said...

I wish I had Lynilu as a neighbor too! I'm sure it's going to be very strange to see new people coming and going from her old house, huh?

Anonymous said...

Losting a friend is so hard. I'm so sorry that she will be moving away but what a great friend she has been!

Jen said...

That was beautiful.

Lynilu said...

Well, you finally did it. You brought me to tears. I've managed to avoid it by keeping focused and working my butt off (not that I had any choice on that last one!). Caroline, I am going to miss you so much. I'll certainly miss Laura, too, but the history between you and me goes back so far and has worn deep.

I remember the day we officially met when Glenn and I were walking and you backed out of your driveway. How surprised we were to learn that we were both social workers and went to the same school!

I remember trying to figure you and your ex out. You were so smart and funny and cute and he was so . . . strange! Actrually a nice guy toward me, but he was odd.

I remember when you brought Sophie home.

I remember the night Casey died and I came to say goodbye to him.

I remember, not only the dominoes, but how badly you beat me, time after time! And do you remember the time we had lines running all over the table, crossing over one another?

I remember being so proud of you at your graduation! That was a hard year, but wow, how you grew!

I remember that you were, for a while, addicted not only to dominoes, but to Kahlua and cream. Yeah, my fault on that, too!

I remember you and Glenn sitting on our deck having your smokes.

I remember how we used to sit and talk for hours about so many things.

I remember the special things you did, like housesitting when we went on that long cruise, and when we got back, you'd made that big welcome home sign from the three pups and the cats, Tigger and Echo. Everyone of them "signed" it with his/her paw print, except Echo; you couldn't catch her!!

I remember standing on our respective decks and talking.

I remember Glenn was ALWAYS trying to fix you up with some guy! I think the funniest was the new neighbor who politely declined because he was in a relationship. Oh, yeah, he is gay!!

I guess I could go on and on, but that's enough for now. We may be a long distance away from now on, but it doesn't mean we won't stay attached. Blogs, email, telephone (Yay! We're both"IN"!)and you WILL come visit me. I'll be back for visits. I'll be back at least 2 times, to close on the house and to move the furniture. Remember that when you love someone and you let them into your heart, they are always with you. I love you, dear girl, and that won't change.

One Messed Up Chick said...

You both made me cry when I read that! It must be wonderful to have all the memories you have built over the years! I know in my heart you'll both keep in touch! Best of Luck Lynilu on your move!

Monogram Queen said...

Lynilu is a treasure indeed. I would love to hear even more about your past with her!