Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11/01


I had just started back to school to get my Masters Degree. I was driving to work and it was about 8:25am local time. They came across the radio saying that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. The station that I was listening to I wasn't sure if I could believe what they were saying. I called my Dad who said a plane had flown into the Towers. Panic didn't set in until about 10:30am when we were on break from a class and we had heard that a plane had also crashed into the Pentagon. I was then scared. I had no idea what was going on. Was this the end of the world?
School let out early that day and I made my way home. I remember seeing cars lined up at gas stations and I just wanted to get home. Being in the comfort of my own home, even though I was alone, was what I wanted. I was glued to the tv watching everything they were saying. I remember going outside and just watching the sun go down knowing that the world would never be the same after the events of this day.
At the time of the 9/11 attacks I was trying to get back into the church. The Sunday after the attacks our local paper put American Flags in the paper that could be put on your front door. I so desperately wanted to put it on my front door, but knew it was not allowed in the church. I wanted to show my support for our great country.
I will never forget September 11, 2001.

5 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

You couldn't put a flag on your front door according to the church?.... WTF?

pilgrimchick said...

Sometimes the "community of humanity" regardless of race or religion, is what unites us in times like these, especially under such sanctions as the inability to demonstrate your part in that overreaching community.

Lynilu said...

It is one of those events that made such an impact on us that we will probably never forget exactly what we were doing when we heard, nor the shock of realization when it began to sink in. Another event that struck me that way was before the time of most of you out there, the assignation of President John Kennedy in 1963. And those who remember it say the same about the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941. Think about this . . . all the children who are in grade school now will have little to no memory of this. wow.

Minnesota Nice said...

I remember how my grandparents used to speak of Pearl Harbor Day, and how they always remembered it on the anniversary...and I always felt sort of clueless about it. That's how today's young children will think of 9/11 in years to come. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Caroline said...

patticake--flags are the smallest wtf that jw's do.

slskenyon--very well put

lynilu--yes, i remember talking to my mom about jfk. she knows exactly what she was doing; ironing a particular shirt when she heard the news

sandra--for our grandparents is was pearl harbor, for our parents it was jfk and for us it's 9/11.

traci--it feels great being able to show pride in our country doesn't it.