Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thank You For Not Smoking

Today is day 11 of not smoking. YEA ME!! And I am feeling pretty good. A few weeks ago my boss and I were talking about me quitting smoking and he told me that he quit in 1988 and he has told himself that if he really wants to smoke he can tomorrow. He said that has gotten him through the years of not smoking; just knowing that he can if he really wants to. I think that has done it for me. The times that I crave a smoke I just tell myself that if I still really want one I can have one tomorrow. Each morning I wake up and chose not to smoke.

Last Sunday at Landon's birthday party I was a little nervous. I knew most of the people that were at the party were going to be smoking. Even with it being outside you can still really smell the smoke and more importantly you can see people smoking. My trigger has always been seeing people smoking. Anyway, I just told myself that if I got there and decided I wanted to smoke then I could the next day. During the party I saw people smoking and looked at them and told myself, "I really don't want to smoke". It felt great coming to that conclusion.

I am really noticing that I am smelling things more. For instance: two nights ago we slept with the window open and at 3:30am I woke up because there was this intense smell of a skunk. It really smelled back. The next morning I told Laura that this not smoking and my senses coming back is not working out to well. My food is already tasting better.

The evenings have always been hard for me. Last week we went to the grocery store and I told Laura that I wanted to get some snack foods for when I get the munchies in the evenings. And by the way, I have been getting the munchies horribly. So I wanted to look for something that was a little healthy, but would do the job. I have found that baby carrots and some ranch dressing do the job.

My moods have leveled out. I know Laura is saying a quick "thank you God" for this. The first few times I tried I know I was a bitch. I had NO patience and would get pissed off at the drop of a hat. I know I was horrible to live with. This time I knew that getting through the first 72 hours would be the hardest. Once I passed 72 hours I knew that the nicotine would be out of my system. It's been down hill since then.

I am realizing that I can enjoy life without smoking and I am not giving up anything; except bad health. You don't know how refreshing it is to finally realize that.

9 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

I can only imagine the immense satisfaction and pride you feel. Good for you, honey Good for you!
It's been YEARS since i've smelled skunk but I actually remember what the smell was like.

yankeegirl said...

11 days is awesome! I'm glad you are enjoying the smells and tastes of things again!

Minnesota Nice said...

Awesome, bravo Caroline! I've noticed that sometimes I'm just sitting at my desk working and I'll notice my own perfume, or how good my shampoo smells. That never happened when I smoked.

Caroline said...

patticake--lucky you for not having smelled a skunk in years. it's still as horrible as you probably remember it, espeically at 3 in the morning

yankeegirl--it is wonderful getting my senses back

sandra--me too. i will smell my shampoo and i am like, "gosh my hair smells good". it's nice smelling good again and not like a ashtray

Casey said...

WOWSA Girl! Congratulations!!!!

Kitty said...

Keep up the good work. I know you can do it! Especially living with a non-smoker.

Lynilu said...

As I said . . . you're awesome!!

SassyFemme said...

Fabulous! 11 days is just fabulous. Good for you!

One Messed Up Chick said...

11 days is great! way to go!