Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Love Affair

Writing my post last night about our adventures at the park made me think of some of the stupid choices I have made in my romantic life. And there have been many. Some broke my heart, some broke my bank account and some I broke their heart.

When I first came out to my parents my Mom seemed all surprised and her response was "how long have you been lying to me". I don't think I was lying to her I was just trying to figure out who I was. That isn't always an easy thing. I have tried to apologize to her because I never intended to lie to her.

So, last night seeing the couple that appeared to be meeting up and having an affair made me think of one of the stupidest relationships I have ever been in. I had just turned 20 and I was life guarding at a local pool. Everyday before I would go into this convenience store that was right down the road from the pool that I worked at. By the end of the summer I finally noticed that one of the cashiers was flirting with me. As a Jehovah's Witness I was really unaware of flirting when it was happening to me. I think part of it was because of the fact that this person was not a Jehovah's Witness and you are not to pay too much attention to someone that is "worldly". So this older guy (he was 34) is flirting with me and I find that I am kind of having fun flirting back with him. Within weeks I was going up to his store on his breaks and we were talking. Come to find out he was married with a 10 year old daughter. But that didn't stop us. We kept this little thing going on for months. In fact, I think we were still seeing each other around November. I think it was late November when we stopped seeing each other.

It's crazy because in my mind I was making all these plans of this life this guy and I were going to have. He never had any plans on leaving his wife. And I bet if I called him up today they would still be together. They never plan on leaving their wife/husbands. And of course this guy told me "this is the first time I have ever done anything like this." I learned my lesson with that 3 month relationship. I learned that I didn't want to be with someone that I couldn't' go out in public with.

I had to go through a lot of shit in the love department to finally be rewarded with a real gem. I will tell you this, all that crap I had to go through was so worth it to find Laura. Wow, I am lucky.

4 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

You both are lucky that you realize how fortunate you are to have each other and that you let each other know of your appreciation. That in itself is a gift!

Minnesota Nice said...

If you hadn't had the bad experiences, you might not fully appreciate how good things are with Laura. You're two lucky ladies.

Lynilu said...

I'm sure that almost all of us have those "EEEEeeeeuuuuwwww
! What was I thinking???" moments in our pasts! (I'm NOT telling about mine!!!) And, as Sandra says, if it weren't for those, how could be appreciate the good ones in our lives?

Caroline said...

patticake--yes we are lucky

sandra--thank you..we do know we are pretty lucky

lynilu--you always play this game.. you've got to tell of some of your "oh my" stories of who you've dated.