Monday, August 14, 2006

Creepy Physical Therapist

Today I had my appointment with the Physical Therapist in regards to the problems I have been having with my back/leg. Turns out my Dr. was right and so was I. It is my sciatica nerve that is causing the problems. After a few "adjustments" today I already feel a little better. Better yet he showed me how to stretch out my leg and back so it won't continue to do this. That is the good news.

Now the bad news: My physical therapist is a freak. Really he is. I have never met a person that was more odd and had more screws missing then this person. Within a couple minutes I was thinking I had made a terrible mistake. He was talking in circles and I was having a hard time following what he was saying. About five minutes after he brought me back to his office his cellphone rang. He said he needed to get it. As he was walking out the door I thought he said, "I need to take this call from the Doctor". He was gone for about five minutes and when he walked back in this was the conversation we had in regards to his cellphone conversation.
PT: Ok, I am back. One of the babies died
Me: One of the babies died?? (I am in shock because I am trying to figure out what baby has died. My first thought was one of the cojoined twins they separated last week. I don't know why these two little girls came to mind first)
PT: One of the babies died and it's easier for my wife to leave the hospital then for me to leave here to be with them.
Me: What baby?
PT: So here is what is going on with your back.....

That was our conversation. I still do not know what baby died. I don't know if it was a puppy, kitten, human or fish. He didn't seem upset, so I have no clue. It just got stranger from then on. At one point he sat on the table right next to me (I wanted to scream "personal space" asshole) and was writing something on the clipboard. He would stop writing and then the pen would mark up my pants. I kept moving away thinking he would get the hint, but he didn't.

Yes I do feel better, but it was the strangest experience of my life. He kept talking about my husband and I was thinking, "what husband..I am gay". But I didn't want to go into my whole personal business with some freak. I was never so happy to get out of a doctors office. I didn't want to schedule another appointment with him, but as I was leaving he said, "ok, let's get you scheduled for later this week." I felt I couldn't get out of it so I scheduled two for next week. I kept thinking maybe it was me.

On the drive home I called Laura and I think she was equally concerned. I then called Lynilu who seemed equally concerned at the interaction. I think I am going to cancel my appointments tomorrow and find another physical therapist. He just gave me the creeps.

10 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Oh trust your instincts on this one! How odd!

One Messed Up Chick said...

You can not relax and get the full affect of the treatment if you are all tense and worrying about how weird your doctor is. Go with what everyone is saying, find someone new! :)

Casey said...

Do. Not. Go. Back.

Basedon what you said - he is one odd duck and that is NOT someone you want working with/on you.

I'm sure someone else would be a better fit. Eeeek!

Wendy and Karen said...

To borrow a line from the movie Forrest Gump: "Run Forrest! Run!'.

There's a lot of folks out there who can assist with your healing without freaking you out in the process. Take care of yourself in both body and spirit and stay away from this strange duck.

Monogram Queen said...

Definitely trust your instincts.
I couldn't help it the "He would stop writing and then the pen would mark up my pants. I kept moving away thinking he would get the hint, but he didn't." part did get me laughing. Hope you got your pants cleaned though.
What.A.Freak.

Andrew McAllister said...

If you think it was difficult to talk to him, imagine what it must be like to BE him. We should all count our blessings, I guess.
To Love, Honor and Dismay

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--it was very odd

onecrazylady--i had never thought about that. i was kind of tense throughout the whole thing

casey--i am going to call today to cancel my appointments.

wendy&Karen--yes i am running far away from him..

cristin--oh, i finally figured out who was from lastresort. i get so many referrals from there.

patticake--yes, i should trust my insticts

andrew--i count my blessings daily

Minnesota Nice said...

He might be brilliant and good at his job, but I'd call the appointment desk and just let them know you found him really odd. I'm sure they've heard it before and will set you up with someone else.

"One of the babies died...well anyway..." That is totally bizarre.

Caroline said...

sandra--that is such a good idea. i am going to do that right now.

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

How bizarre! Glad you're canceling with him - sounds like a smart move!