Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Blog Anniversary

A year ago today I started this blog. Wow, how many things have happened this past year. It was a wild ride, but well worth it.

The first time I heard the word "blog" it was in reference to Rosie's blog. I read it everyday and when I typed in the word blog in google, blogger came up. I wrote my first post on August 8th. It was entitled "Queer as Folk". We had just watched the series finale of the show and I was so sad to see the show ending. After that first post I think I waited another week or so before I did another post. Well, the truth is, I couldn't remember how to log in and so it took me a while to remember what my login and password was. By the end of August I was posting everyday.

I started this blog as a means for me to vent about growing up a Jehovah's Witness and the effect that had on my life as well as being gay. Last August I was so angry at my family for shutting me out of their life. I think now I have gotten to the point that I am able to forgive them and move on with my life. There is nothing I can do about their choice and if I want to be happy I have to move on. For a while when I would talk about my family it seemed like there were never any good times. That is not true. That was the anger talking. Overall I had a pretty good childhood. I never remember wanting for anything. Now when I talk about my parents I make sure everyone knows that I don't hate my parents and that I still think they are good people. I have Fransceca to thank for this. She pointed out one time that the way I was talking about my parents in an angry way would never cure the problems my parents and I have. I took what she said to heart and made sure I made sure it wasn't just anger talking when I spoke about my family.

The friends that I have made through this blog in the past year is amazing to me. I never thought I would form such strong relationships with the people that came across my blog. I never knew people would be this interested in my life. Packof2 were one of the first to comment on my blog and then continue to come back. They are two of the funniest people out there in blogland and I can always count on a laugh when I visit their blog. The first time that I visited Isabel's blog I was fascinated because she was from Sacramento. Why? Well, that is where my ex currently lives and I visited Sacramento many times. And I love reading her stories about her and her husband who have been married just over one year now. They are always having a good time. Sassyfemme's blog hooked me in when they went back to the east coast for vacation because they were "thinking" about moving there. Since December I have watched her and her wife follow their dreams and move out east. I really admire her courage and determination. I always know that when I go visit Casey's I will see pictures of her two beautiful children. Seeing her and her partner raise these two kids I know there is a chance that someday Laura and I will have the courage to bring a child into this world. Now gaymo is a bit of mystery to me. I know she lives somewhere close to me me, but I have no idea where. Her blog is always filled with everyday laughs and I love how much she loves Betty Please. Just one crazy lady is one of the hardest working women I know. She works to support herself as well as her partner. Even thought I don't see her, I know she is doing all this with a smile on her face. Then there is Sandra. I first started visiting her blog because I loved the pictures she would put up of her dog. Over the months I have learned so much from her blog.I have learned about global warming, religious cults and more importantly how to stop smoking the easy way. I don't know if I can thank you enough Sandra. Kim and Courtney started visiting my blog sometime late last year. They got married in April and were nice enough to invite me and Laura to the wedding. If we hadn't just gotten back from Florida you know we would have been there. The two of them seem to have more fun then what is legally allowed. Recovering Straight Girl had me at hello. I came across her blog through packof2. Her title says it all. Then there is Ragged. I love her style of writing and she takes some of the neatest pictures and makes them part of her blog.

Shortly after I started my blog I came across an old friend that I had at camp. Turns out the two of us don't like each other, but I visit his sisters blog daily. I have followed her struggling to get pregnant, the excitement of finding out she was carrying triplets and then the devastating loss of the three babies that were born at 26 weeks. My heart goes out to her and her husband. Patticake is one of the nicest people I know in blogland. I will never forget the support she gave me while Ben got out and was gone for a week. She is a real gem. Then there is ComfortandJoy that suddenly appeared a month ago and has the neatest blog. One of the most honest blogs I have ever seen. One of the most heart breaking blogs that I visit is that of Millie. The story of a 2 year old girl suffering from a brain tumor. The decision her family has had to make in the past month is heart wrenching. I feel that Millie is part of my own family now and I love seeing the pictures of her pretty smile. It always brings a smile to my face.

Through the process of this blog I encouraged one of my good friends to blog. She put me off for months and months. Finally in May she started one and she has been caught by the blog bug. Many of you know Lynilu from her comments. Right now (at least for the next month) she lives right next to me. She has been through a lot in the last year and I love watching her do things for herself. It's fun watching her evolve into this whole new person. She is the definition of starting over.

These are just a few of my favorite blogs. There are of course the ones that I lurk on, but I can't give those away, not yet.

To all my blogging friends (and I mean friend in the dearest way), thank you for all the laughs, encouragement and support this past year. Many of you don't know how much a part of my life you have become. Your life stories encourage me when I am down and your humor makes me laugh on those days when I struggle to smile.

Here's to another year of blogging.

18 comments:

Casey said...

Happy Anniversary to you!! I've been at this only slightly longer - started my blog on July 13th. It's been quite a year, hasn't it?

I'm glad I found your little piece of blogland. I like it here. :)

Minnesota Nice said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!! You're the best Caroline!!!!

Monogram Queen said...

Happy Happy Blogaversary sweetie! I am so glad I came across your blog, you make me smile many a day with your posts. You just seem to make this old world a better place to be in!
P.S. You get extra props for bringing us Lynlilu too!

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Happy Blogversary and I want to thank you for the kind comments. Right back at ya! Here's to blog-friendships. (Me raising my Diet Coke in a toast.)

Caroline said...

casey--thank you. happy belated annivesary to you as well.

sandra--no, you're the best sandra. :)

patticake--thank you for your kind words. lynilu is great isn't she.

ragged--thank you for your great blog. i just love your writing.

Lynilu said...

Happy Anniversary! I thank you for leading me here, too. Well, on most days!! There are days that I spend just too much time here! Thank you, too, for your remarks about me. But, girl, the remarkable growth has been in you. You have become much more self confident and have taken hold of your own path; it is reflected in your blog. Congratulations for the anniversary, for your personal progress, and for the happiness in your life. Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog-iversary

Caroline said...

lynilu--i am so happy you got a blog. i love reading all the adventures you are on. your blog will make you not seem so far away when you move

anonoymous--thank you

SassyFemme said...

What a beautiful post! Happy Blogiversary! I always love reading your posts, you guys are like the kind of friends I'd want to hang out with if we lived in the same area.

One Messed Up Chick said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!! Thank you for the nice things you had to say about me. I think you are great and I am so happy I came across your blog! Here is to another great year to come!

Trop said...

Happy anniversary and thanks for the mention. And yes, we do have more fun than seems legally allowed.

Zanne said...

Congratulations! Here's to a new year full of friendship, laughter, and love!

Isabel said...

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for the kind words. Here's to another year. :)

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i was thinking the same thing..wish we lived closer adn the four of us could get together


onecrazylady--thanks for the well wishes

tropopause--yes, you guys do have a lot of fun, but that is wonderful

zanne--yes, here's to another year

isabel--thanks

Zoe said...

What a great post. It's amazing how people you've never met can inspire, encourage, or even console you. I'm glad that I found your blog, I enjoy peeking into your life. Happy Blogiversary!

Lafayette, Indiana. Does that solve the mystery, or am I a mystery in other ways?

Caroline said...

zoe--i assumed with the title of your blog that you were somewhere in missouri. i was wrong.

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

Happy Blogiversary Caroline! What an awesome post - I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the mention. :)

Caroline said...

courtney--couldn't talk about my blogging without mentioning you and kim

comfortandjoy--wow. i never knew my would affect people like that. i am glad i could provide a smile.