Friday, August 04, 2006

1 Day


So, I have successfully made it through 24 hours without smoking. YEA. It was not as hard as I thought. I swear Allen Carr's EasyWay to Stop Smoking has been wonderful. I carry it around like it was my Bible. Today while I was at work I read a few chapters on The Withdrawl Period just to refresh my memory. Driving in the car has been one of the most difficult times for me. It was not uncommon for me to be smoking most of the time I was in the car. So, to suddenly not be smoking I have to find other ways to entertain myself while I am driving. Luckily they have been playing great music on the radio lately and I bought a new CD yesterday, so I have been using the music to my advantage. I am singing at the top of my lungs and I don't care who hears or sees me. It is actually very refreshing to be singing so loud.

Tonight we had Lynilu over for dinner and it was hard when we were done with dinner. My mind was saying, "it's time for a cigarette" while I was reminding myself I didn't need one and I would just smell afterwards anyways and feel horrible about myself.

Since I started smoking I have not gone more then 24 hours without smoking. The most I have gone is just one day (24 hours). It's amazing how often the thought of smoking comes into my mind. Being alert and redirecting my thoughts is one way I have been dealing with all the reminders.

I never thought I would make it one day. I figured if I can get to tomorrow night I will be fine. It's just one day at a time. Some moments are minute to minute. My next goal is getting to tomorrow night. After that it's to Sunday night. Addicts are told just one day at a time. And I was addicted to nicotine. So, I will take this journey one step at a time.

7 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

Youre doing wonderful!!!

Zoe said...

Congrats on making it through day 1. I know it's not easy, but small steps and you'll make it.

pack of 2 said...

Good job!

A.

Caroline said...

onecrazylady--thank you, i am starting to feel so much better

track--thanks for the support

zoe--each day it gets easier and easier

packof2--thanks

Francesca said...

Hang in there and congratulations for getting through your first day. That's a BIG step.

Minnesota Nice said...

Remember the cravings are just the old monster, they're not really what you want, but what IT wants. I'm doing good too, hooray!

Monogram Queen said...

One day at a time...