Tuesday, July 04, 2006

One More Reason We Don't Need A Man

Yesterday afternoon before we were heading out I went to the bathroom. About twenty seconds after flushing there was this huge noise and racket coming from the toilet. It seemed it was shaking the entire house. My first thought was to shut off the water. My second thought was "what did those Fix-it Guys fuckers do now?" After messing with the water to the toilet the noise stopped. Both Laura and I were kind of dazed and not knowing what was going on. We flushed again and the same loud noise and racket occured. Damn. We left the house and while we were driving we were talking about what could possibly be going on. We came to the conclusion (don't know how) that there must we air in the water line. After talking with her parents we were sure that was what was wrong. But we still didn't know exactly how to fix the problem. My first thought was to call a plumber or to call Laura's Dad to come help us or some other male.

When we got home it was still happening every time we flushed. I began to stress. One thing about me: I am a worry wart. If I can worry about it, then dammit I am going to worry about it. It's a flaw that I am working on, but with all the problems we had with the bathroom remodel, my worrying at times has escalated. After realizing that we needed to figure something out I got on the internet. I didn't think I would find anything, but searched under "toilet problems" anyway. Within five minutes I had diagnosed the problem. Laura and I were correct. There was air in the water line. Our toilet appeared to have what it commonly known (only to plumbers and lesbians I guess) is "toilet hammering". Upon reading what the noise sounds like we knew we had found the problem. By this time it was 11:30pm and it was too late to try to fix it. With only one toilet in the house, it was a loud night everytime one us had to go to the bathroom.

So, we wake up this morning and start our adventure of fixing our toilet. Before the bathroom remodel I had no idea where the main water shut off was. Thankfully I do now. I had to turn the main water off. Then turn on two faucets in the house and then turn on the faucet in the house that is lowest to the ground. AFter letting the water drain out of the front yard faucet, we left the two inside on and turned the main water back on. And there you have it, our problem is fixed.

Now, I am feeling very proud of myself. I am not a home improvement kind of gal. Growing up I never had to fix anything. Infact, whenever something needed to be fixed my Father (a lawyer) was never real handy himself and would always call someone. So, I never got the chance to learn. After fixing the toilet Laura looked at me and said with a smile, "see you don't always have to call a man to fix things for us." Lesson learned.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are becoming regular Toolbelt Divas hugh? Heck I even learned something from reading this.

I love the interenet! It's like one great big encyclopedia.

Lynilu said...

it is rewarding, isn't it? of course, I'm finding that every time I start to fix something, I have to do 3-5 other things in preparation that I hadn't realized. ratz! but YEAH!!! who needs a man!!I am woman, hear me roar . . .

Caroline said...

big sis--yes we are. i also love the internet. you can find something out about everything you could ever dream about

lynilu--hey you stole my line. that is what i have been saying all day.."i am woman, hear me roar"

SassyFemme said...

Well done ladies!
Now can you make a road trip to CT, we've got a few things that need doing around the house. ;)

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

Great job! I'm impressed :)

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i don't know if you really want us to come fix things yet. let us get a couple more fixes under our belts.

courtney--thank you...thank you very much

Casey said...

Excellent problem solving! :)

Monogram Queen said...

Yay for you two! I am seriously impressed!