Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Root Canal in Jamaica

Well, I am 1/2 way done with my root canal. Due to the infection it had to be done in two parts. They finished half of it and they need to allow it to drain before completing it. So, next Friday I go back to finish this and to get the process started with the crown. Boy, this is fun. They also put me on another 10 days of antibotics. Again, boy this is fun.

I was pretty nervous when I went in yesterday and I think part of the reason was because I was hearing all these stories about other people having root canals done. Here's some advice: When someone you know if going to have a major procedure done, please do not tell them any horror stories. I had a root canal done three years ago and had no problems. But hearing all these horror stories really freaked me out. So, when they offered me the laughing gas yesterday to calm down I said, "hell yes". Now, I had never had the laughing gas before but had heard that it was pretty good stuff. Within minutes I was in another world. My limbs felt heavy and I could barely move. The dentist has XM radio and they had it on a station playing island music. I felt like I was in Jamaica. When they tried to do the x-ray I couldn't get my hands coordinated enough to hold the x-ray piece in my mouth. I know the nurses were laughing at me. But at that point I didn't care. I felt like everytime I talked out loud I was talking in slow motion. It was the weirdest feeling. They gave me two shots to numb my mouth and then started working. I remember feeling a little more pain and they gave me a shot directly in the tooth. I then felt NOTHING. Once they turned on just the oxygen I started coming back around. It was wild. My mouth was completly numb until 8:30pm. They said it would be numb longer then normal because of the shot directly in the tooth. This morning I have no pain in my mouth. I think my jaw is a little sore, but that's it.

I slept like a baby last night. I don't think I woke up once. I was stil "hanging" from the laughing gas when I went to bed. I don't think I will take that stuff again. My stomach was so upset when I got home last night. It took several hours for the full effect of it to wear off.

We have a 29 gallon aquarium in our house. When we went to Florida we put in a 7 day feeder and ever since then we have not been able to clear the water up. We have tried everything. I mean everything. We finally decided last night to take all the water out and clean it real good. We put our fish (7 fish total) in our little 5 gallon aquarium until we get the other one clean. We have 4 Neons and it took us forever to catch them last night. The water was so cloudy they could just go and hide at the back. When we went to Florida we had a total of 12 fish. Once we got back to Florida and the 7 day feeder messed up the water we have lost 5. We are hoping that cleaning the tank well will clear up the water.

That's all for now folks.

6 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Gah I have to go to the Dentist soon and I am SO dreading it. Sorry about your fish. I hope you get the aquarium clean.

Lynilu said...

Laura was thinking that you might not feel well even by tomorrow (when I called about going to Riverdance) and I told her that it isn't that bad. I hate having dental work done, but It's usually not as bad as I work myself up to!! When Terri had the gas for removing wisdom teeth, her blood pressure dropped, and we had a lot of trouble waking her up. The dentist was close to panic; he didn't say it out loud, but I know he was on edge and the assistant walked over and stood by the phone as if ready to call 911. Very unnerving to me!

I'm glad you're getting this done and getting the oral health back where it should be. Sorry, I'm your next-door worry wort! I just care 'bout ya. :-)

SassyFemme said...

Fran does the laughing gas but I'm always afraid to. I just take lots of novicane and some loud music in the headphones.

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

>shudder< I hate the dentist. I have no pain tolerance at all.

I want a big aquarium. It sounds like you guys have a nice one. I think we will get one when we finally get settled into a house. I hope cleaning the tank out helps. What a big job!

Isabel said...

Well, I'm glad you are ok. I've never had laughing gas before. Sounds... trippy.

Caroline said...

patticake--good luck to you with the dentist

lynilu--that is kind of scary about Terri. i think i had some trouble coming out of it as well.

sassyfemme--i don't think i will do the laughing gas again. i didn't like the after affects

courtney--we also love our aquarium. we are hoping to get it all cleared up. it's so pretty when it's crystal clear

isabel--it was very trippy