Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Old Glory


In honor of Flag Day I decided to put up a picture of our flag that flies outside our house. I had wanted to get an American Flag for a while now and then on my b-day Laura got me one. I love it. Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness we were taught that to show any kind of pride in the American flag (or any other flag) was considered "idol woriship". (And I'm not talking about American Idol either) Whenever we would go to a sporting event we would either leave the main area during the National Athem or just stay sitting. It was horrible. Because if you didn't get out in time my Mom would make us just sit there. I hated that. Finally at age 33 I am be proud of the American flag and hang one proudly in front of my home.

Monday I went to the dentist because I had been having some pain in one of my back teeth. Turns out I have some cavities, plus the tooth that is hurting needs a root canal. In 2001 I left my job, plus my benefits to go back to school to get my masters. Once I graduated in 2002 and got another job there were no dental benefits. So, I kind of neglected my teeth for a while. Growing up we would make it a family outing every 6 months to go to the dentist. Until I was 28 I had gone to the same dentist. In 2003 I had to have a root canal and had to pay for it out of pocket. I don't know what hurt more..the root canal for having to pay out of pocket for the work. I didn't have the money to go back and have a permenant crown put on. Well, last Spring my temp. crown finally broke off. So, now that I had dental insurance I went back to have the crown put on. I was suppose to go back for a deep cleaning, but never did. So, a few weeks ago when my back tooth started hurting I figured I might as well get this taken care of. The doctor was shocked that I was not complaing of more pain due to the infection being all the way down to the nerve. Since we are going down to the lake next week he gave me some pain medication (YEA) in case we get down there and it really starts hurting. He also put me on a shitload of antibotics to try to get rid of the infection before the root canal. I took one pain pill Monday night and it really took the edge off the pain. I guess I didn't realize how much pain I was in. And I go back on the 27th to have this root canal done.

Happy Flag Day Everyone!!

14 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Long may Old Glory wave! It's nice you can enjoy so many things now. I never knew JW's had to many "issues".
Oh and i'm sypathetic about the tooth. I've got one but I hate going to the dentist and i've got dental insurance. I've also got these stupid braces that I WANT OFF. Grr....

Monogram Queen said...

oops "to" many issues s/b "so" many

Caroline said...

patticake--flags are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the issues that JW's have. There are almost too many to list.

Lynilu said...

Wow! I left you a message earlier, and it's not here. Oh, well, it was just something like "Welcome to the real world." So Welcome!!

Casey said...

Happy Flag Day to you!!

Here's hoping the teeth issues are taken care of quickly and painlessly.

danielle said...

I just found your site through Oreo's. Its pretty cool so far. Anyway happy flag day to you.

danielle said...

I was just wondering if Ben was ever found? We have a cat that has not been seen in about 7 weeks. It is really heartbreaking.

Caroline said...

lynilu--the real world is great isn't it?

casey--i also hope the teeth problems get cleared up soon

danielle--thanks for stopping by and again, oreo's blog is great. YES, Ben did make it home..one week later. He was glad to be home although pretty hungry.

Minnesota Nice said...

Wow, you must have a really high pain tolerance!! I'm sorry you have to have a root canal and hope it can be as quick and painless as possible!

Caroline said...

sandra--laura called me weird because of my high tolerance. but i will tell you it's not with all things. my head is very sensitive when brushed. i guess i am weird. :)

SassyFemme said...

I'm glad that you're able to do things that you've wanted to, like fly the flag. Good for you.

The dental stuff sounds yucky and makes me cringe just thinking about it. Hope it all turns out okay. (Thinking its way past time for me to visit a dentist, just the thought scares the crap out of me!)

danielle said...

I am so very glad for you about Ben coming home. That is a great feeling. I to have a high tolerance for pain. So I'm told. I thought I was a big baby. Good luck with the whole tooth thing.

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i remember the trouble that fran had when you guys went out east last christmas. i hate dental work, but i am looking forward to not having my mouth hurt anymore.

danielle--i was a mess the week ben was gone. it was horrible. we are soooooo happy he made it home.

Spock said...

So is your purrthday May 29th? Cause that am mine momma's purrthday!! And hers & Daddys anniversary. I call it the annipurrthiversary day!