Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's Getting Hot in Here

Well, I guess summer is officially here. Even though the calender says it doesn't start for a couple more weeks, it sure feels like summer. Last night as I was watching the news I realized that it was going to be a sauna in KC today. Knowing that the yard needed to be mowed I debated about what to do. I hate coming home from work and mowing when it's so hot outside. With the humidity we get here it makes it almost impossible to do anything outside in the late afternoon. And with our front yard having NO shade and facing south west all you have in the afternoons is sun.

Laura, who is now officially done with school for the year, got up around 6:30am. It takes her body a little while to adjust to not getting up before the sun. So, her not getting up til 6:30am was actually pretty good for the first morning. She has some projects she is working on, so she told me she was getting up to get started on those projects. I told her not to think I was crazy, but that I was going to go mow the yard. She kind of looked at me weird. Knowing that it is useless to argue with me when I have made up my mind about something she simply said, "ok".

Now, I knew that I had to be in the showe to get ready for work by 7:45am. That gave me a little over an hour to do the yard. On a normal day it takes just about an hour to finish. I was a little nervous that one of our neighbors were going to call "noise control" on us. But then I figured I would just take my chance. I was willing to do anything so that I didn't have to mow at 5pm today when the sun was at it's hottest.

It was very pleasant while I was mowing. It was already pretty humid, but the temps were only in the mid 60's. I wasted no time and when I got done it was only 7:30am. Wow, not only did I mow it in record time, but I still had 25 minutes left over to watch a little of Good Morning America.

Laura spent her first day off (after working a little at home) at the pool. She called me and said she could get used to the lifestyle of going to the pool. She said she even made a friend at the pool. I guess she befriended some lady at the pool that was there with her 3 young kids. Damn, I am jealous. Why didn't I become a teacher???

6 comments:

Lynilu said...

Why didn't you become a teacher? Hello! You and I both know it is because you found out several years ago that you are not cut out to deal with tons of active kids!! It's different when you start with them as an itty bitty one, and I think you'll be a great mom. But picturing you with 25 4th graders . . . well, it's just scary! You gotta find another excuse to go to the pool daily, girlfriend! ;-)

Casey said...

I'm always jealous this time of year about people who get a long summer vacation (and yeah, I know, I'm a SAHM but I'm STILL jealous!).

Good idea re: mowing early in the AM. Here's hoping it cools down for you.

Isabel said...

I miss summer vacation.

Monogram Queen said...

Mowing in the morning is a great idea you power-mower, you! ;)
I am seriously thinking about switching careers to elementary education

Caroline said...

lynilu--i know i probably wouldn't be a good teacher, but every summer I ask msyelf "why didn't I become a teacher" By fall, I am fine again with being a social worker again.

casey--wait until your kids are in school. you won't like summer vacation as much I bet. :) you will be ready for the fall and when they go back to school. i always wondered why my parents were doing the happy dance on the first day back to school

isabel--me too. i would have had more fun and enjoyed it more if i had known i was going to miss it this much

patticake--mowing has become kind of like therapy for me.

Monogram Queen said...

I like for the grass to be kinda high, well, high enough where I can clearly SEE a line where I mow. Kinda of an OCD thing for me I think. I get a feeling of great satisfaction seeing those rows of clipped grass