Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Well, it has been quite an adjustment for Mr. Ben. As I noted last night, it is sooo good to have him home. My heart literally jumped out of my chest when he came running to me. I kept telling myself that he was not my child, but the feeling I got when he came running to MY voice was as if he was my lost child. I got a small glimpse of how it is when you actually have a child. I loved what Laura told her parents, "He knew his Mama's voice." Once we got him home he went and hid behind the couch. This is where he typically hides when someone he doesn't know comes in house. (which means, if anyone besides me and Laura come in the door he goes and hides) He was back there for about fifteen minutes. He continued to respond to my voice, which was good. He then came out from behind the couch and went straight downstairs to the food bowl. After getting some food he stopped by the water bowl for a few minutes. The poor guy, I know he was starving and thirsty. He then got on the back of the couch and peaked through the blinds. This is all very typical and normal behavior for Ben. After looking outside for a few minutes he came and laid in my lap. The poor guy could barely keep his eyes open. It was as if he hadn't slept the entire time he was outside.

I, on the other hand, had a horrible time trying to sleep. I was so happy and excited that he was home. My mind was racing of all the times I had gone in the backyard and neglected to look under our neighbors deck. I figured since they had three dogs he would not go back there. I was wrong. Ben came and slept with us, but then it was as if he was nervous and he would jump down. I heard him meow more last night then I have his entire life. The other cats are sniffing him and making sure it's the same old Ben. He is ignorning them and just walks right past them, but allows them to sniff all they want. Ben is also very attached to the dog, more so then ever. This morning when I was getting ready for work he was in the guest room where the dog sleeps when we leave the house. I tried to get Ben to sleep on our bed, but he insisted on being in the room with Sophie. Those two have always had a unique relationship. It seems their bond is even tighter.

Ben did come home with a few hundred of his new friends: FLEAS. Because the dog is treated and none of the cats go outside we have never treated the cats for fleas. Well, Ben was stratching all over last night. I stopped by the vet over lunch and picked up some flea treatment for all the cats and the dog. I had stopped by the vet yesterday to see if they had any other advice for me in regards to finding Ben. When I walked in and told them about finding him they were almost as excited as I was. I love our vets office. My parents always took our dogs to this vet and when I moved out I continued to use them. It's nice going to a vet where they know you. One interesting note: When Ben was at the vet in Sept.2005 he weighed 8.7 pounds. I know he has lost at least a couple pounds. Poor thing. I guess this calls for extra treats for him.

One other thing: a few days before Ben disappeared I saw the video to Nick Lachey's new video "What's left of Me". Well, for some reason every time I saw that video after Ben disappeared I would just start bawling. Not a cry where a few tears come down, but I mean a full cry. Sobbing and all. Hearing the song on the radio would upset me as well. I know it's crazy, but that's just me. :) I am happy to say I can now hear that song and see the video with no crying involved. YEA.

Thank you all for all the support and encouraging words this past week. I don' t know if I could have gotten through the week without your uplifting comments. I have the best blogger friends!!!

6 comments:

Minnesota Nice said...

Funny when my lost cat came home she was most happy to see the dog again too.

http://notthatdesperate.blogspot.com/2005/09/look-whos-home.html

Hate to mention it but you may want to give him some de-wormer too...never know what he ate last week :)

Caroline said...

sandra--good point with the de-wormer. i am thinking of taking him to the vet here in a few days to have him checked out. i want him to settle down first though.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

So glad he's home safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

I sent you a note last night, but it apparently didn't go through. I checked email and your blog before going to bed, and when I saw that you had written about finding Ben I said I wanted to be the first to say, Yahoooooo! No biggie, but I wanted you to know that I sent your household my happy wishes. Now, I'm glad that you are back to normal. (Normal being relative, of course!!!) ;-)

Caroline said...

ragged--we are too

elf--thank you and i am sorry for the loss your family is going through right now

lyn--i have had problems with blogger lately and the comments. thank you for helping us last night. Oh, i forgot to return your towel. will get it back to you sometime in the next couple of days

Monogram Queen said...

Very joyous post :)