Monday, May 08, 2006

Blackey

I need to let you in on some of the history of this post. I have lived in this house for 8 1/2 years now. About two years after my ex. and I moved into the house i noticed a stray hanging around. I didn't think that much about it. Then I noticed that this stray had kittens. It was cold outside and the female, who I later named "mama' looked like she was losing weight. So, I started putting out food for this stray "mama" and her kittens. Mistake #1. Before I knew it I was feeding half the cats in our neighborhood. There were cats that were from perfectly find homes, but would chose to be "strays" because of the food I put out. This went on for a couple more years. Each year, "mama" would have a couple liters. My parents have two of her kittens and I have one whom you all know very well now..Ben. A few months before I got Ben I befriended this long haired black cat. I thought it was a she, but later learned it was a male. I remember this one really cold night and I thought I would be nice and bring this cat in. I let the cat down once we were in the house and I swear the cat climbed one of my walls. To this day, my cats still go over and sniff where this cat climbed the wall. Well, I quickly got this cat outside because I realized this probably wasn't going to work. A few months later I got Ben and realized this must be his Father. They look so much alike, except Ben has short hair and his Father has long hair. Other then that, they look exactly alike. Because Ben is so dear to me, I have started calling what appears to be his Dad, "Ben's Daddy".

Now, Ben's Dad is a tough guy. He is always coming around with new scabs and looking like he has been in a fight. The last few months we have noticed that Ben Dad is looking pretty bad. Like he's sick or something. When we lost Ben I went around to all the neighbors asking for them to keep an eye on Ben. The lady that lives next to us is probably in her late 80's. She is the sweetest thing. I knocked on her door to see if we could look in her backyard. She said yes and took us to her backyard. As we were back there I heard a "meow". I called Ben's name and my elderly neighbor said, "Oh, I think that is just Blackey. He's an ole stray cat that I put food out for". I continued to listen to her call Blackey's name and the cat came right to her. Damn, all these years and he actually has a name. Now, Blackey has always kind of just stayed in my yard and my elderly neighbors yard. I didn't realize she even knew he was walking around in her yard.

So, I have continued all these years putting out food for these stray cats. BTW, "mama' was taken to a local shelter two years ago with her kittens. I spent an entire weekend two years ago catching her and her kittens. I was trying to help the neighborhood. But it seems as if someone other female cat has taken over her place and is making lots of kittens with Blackey. I know I should put out food for these cats, but I hate seeing them hungry. I did go most of last summer without feeding them, but the minute things turn cold, I simply can't help it. I don't like to see anything strave. Even Laura gets on me about feeding what she calls, "those damn strays". There are times she drives up to the house and she swears our house is the "columsium" in Italy.

So, we ran out of food Saturday night. I didn't go get more food. I don't know why. Tonight we went out for a few minutes and when we drove up Blackey was in our driveway just meowing away. I think he said, "where's my damn food lady. you can't just feed me 9 months out of the year". Laura said, "why didn't you put out any food for him?" I explained how we were out of food. Now, even Laura has felt sorry for Blackey these last few weeks. He really looks like he is getting old and just tired. Hell, it's hard being a stray.

We come in the house and I go upstairs. I notice it's a little quiet downstairs. After a few minutes I ask Laura what she is doing. Her reply is, "nothing". I walk downstairs to find her cutting up hot dogs for the cat. Laura looked at me and said, "shut up". Here are the pictures to prove that she did feel sorry for Blackey and feed him. Because I know Laura, she will deny she ever did this.

Here he is enjoying his hot dogs.
Notice he just makes himself home in our front yard.

And that my friends, is the story of Blackey (A.K.A. Ben's Daddy).

6 comments:

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

Oh, so sweet!

Monogram Queen said...

Awwwww good for Laura - that is so sweet! Don't feel bad girls, we feed all the "strays" in the neighborhood, my parents do and my sister does. The cats in Florence SC are living pretty damn good thanks to our combined efforts!
Seriously our cats are all rescues also but they are all fixed.
I am a sucker for a stray animal. Heck I even got a squirrel that fell out of our tree a few weeks ago but sadly he didn't make it.

Minnesota Nice said...

Blackey's beautiful...I suppose he's too feral to be caught and found a home?

pack of 2 said...

We have the same sort of problem going on here. About a year ago we started feeding a stray cat ( who we've since found a home for)....but now all the other kitties in the area stand out there and scream if the food bowl outside isn't filled. They all have homes....we're just stupid.;)

Angie

Caroline said...

courtney--thank you

patticake--i was proud of laura as well. i am glad to know i am not the only one that feeds strays.

sandra--he is very feral. he will let me pet him, but if laura comes outside he runs.

packof2--that's funny about the other kittens you feed. i know there are some cats that come and eat out of our food bowl and they have homes. but still they always come with sad looking faces.

SassyFemme said...

Awww, I'm glad you guys take care of the neighborhood kitties.