Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Damn, I am Proud of Her

The weather in KC has been so weird these past few weeks. There are some days where it is so cold that we have to turn the heat on. Then the next day it's so warm outside we have the air conditioning on. I wish the weather would decide if it's going to be winter or summer. Because I know the turning of the heater and air conditioning on and off is not good. Oh well. Last night we slept with the window open and about 3am I woke up to Laura standing next to me trying to close the window. I asked her what was going on and she said, "don't you smell that?" Apparently, we had a skunk in the neighborhood that decided he would shoot off his stink. Our entire bedroom smelled horrible. Then the dog decided she needed to go outside to check things out. There was no way in hell I was going to let her out and have the chance of coming back smelling like a skunk.

I am having one of those days where I am so damn proud of Laura. She implemented a reading program in her school to help the students that are behind. (teaching in the urban schools she is finding most of the kids are behind in their reading skills.) Well, she has started testing her students again (the first test was given at the begining of the year) and she is finding that almost all have increased their reading skills a great deal. How cool is that? She is such an awesome teacher. We need more teachers like her. At the begining of the school year she went to her principal and said they needed this reading program to help with the readings scores and her principal listened to her and got the program. And this wasn't a cheap program either. Well, Laura called me today and said her principal is so excited about the reading scores and so excited that they have increased so much. Again, I am so proud of Laura. I am so excited for her cause she only has three weeks left until summer break. I keep telling her if it were up to me she wouldn't work at all. I would keep her barefoot and pregnant. :)

4 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Yeah for Laura and implementing the reading program! We need things that really work! The teacher in me is dying to know which program it is!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Way to go Laura!! That's awesome! I hope the skunk smell doesn't stick around long :)

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i don't remember the name of the program. i will ask laura.

lisa--thanks for stopping by and letting me know you read my blog.

onecrazylady--i second that "way to go laura". she is so awesome.

yankeegirl said...

Go Laura! It's great to hear a positive story about the schools. I'm glad her hard work paid off for her AND for those kids!