Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My "zest" is gone

This morning as I was sitting with a client I realized I am getting tired of the work that I do. That thought was pretty scary for me. If I don't do this, what will I do? I think part of my problem is I am still thinking about vacation and all the fun things we did. There were no schedules and we did what we wanted to. Every afternoon around 3pm we would lay down for a "siesta". Usually that meant laying down watching TV for an hour or so before going to dinner. I think I really miss those "siesta's".

When I graduated in 1999 with my Bachelors degree I was all ready for the field of social work. I loved my first job and hated leaving there two years later when I got my masters. After getting my masters I worked for one year in a nursing home. I think that one year in the nursing home really took a lot out of me. It was as if I lost my "zest" for social work. It didn't help that the nursing home enviornment is so damn depressing. I ended up moving to another nursing home and then being fired three months later. I called in sick one day and told my boss I had to go to the dentist. He didn't like me and I didn't like him. When I got to work on Monday he said he wanted to call my dentist to see if I really had been there. WTF?????? I told him I just needed a day off and he said, "You're fired". (This was before Trump coined the phrase, so it wasn't that exciting hearing that) It turned out to be the best thing for me. I collected unemployment for six months and really started to heal myself as a person. After six months I got a full time job, but they only paid me for part-time. (the pay really sucked as you can tell) I couldn't live on what they paid me, but I loved what I was doing. I stayed there almost a year and then found this job. And I love my current job. But I feel I am losing some of my compassion and empthay for the client's that I see. I find myself looking at them and thinking to myself, "thank God that's not me". And I think that's a horrible thing to be doing. I thought that maybe a vacation would do me good and maybe I would come back all refreshed and recharged. But I seem to have lost my "zest" for my job.

I am finding myself very envious of Laura who has just one month left before she is out for three months. As much as I love my job, I am just really tired of working. I am tired of always hearing people's problems. I feel I can never have a bad day at work because there is always someone out there that needs my help with something.

Any suggestions on how I can find and get my "zest" back?

7 comments:

SassyFemme said...

What about being a school social worker? Or better yet, one that works with adoptions? That one would bring you the happy side of social work.

SassyFemme said...

What about being a school social worker? Or better yet, one that works with adoptions? That one would bring you the happy side of social work.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your zest is gone or are you in a slump? How are you measuring your progress or effectiveness as an MSW? Are you continuing to enhance your skills and knowledge beyond the basics that is required for licensure? School social work might be an option if you want to be on Laura's schedule-- but check into that as some districts do not give their social workers off due to summer school, etc... However, I would also recommend speaking with a fellow MSW who has some supervisory experience, has years of experience. We also sometimes suffer from compassion fatigue and developing a good network is important.

Anonymous said...

consult a social worker

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--that's a good idea..i will have to think about it

anonymous--it just may be a slump. i am pretty sure that school social workers don't have the entire summer off. laura and i are looking at all our options in all areas right now

anonymous--not sure what you mean about "consulting a social worker". i am a social worker..

Anonymous said...

I wish I weren't so slow on reading your blog and keeping up to date with your thoughts and events. Gee, I'm more focused on my own stuff than yours, what is wrong with me? Girl, why didn't you talk with me?!?

You have some great suggestions here. You and I have talked about school Social Work, and I know that's probably not what you want or should be doing. Adoptions is an excellent idea. Please look into it. I may be able to put you in touch with some people on both sides of that process. I'll have to see if I can find current numbers for them.

anonymous made some very good points. I suspect (because I know YOU!!!) that you haven't measured yourself in progress or effectiveness. (Hey, anonymous, you sound like a Social Worker yourself?!?!?) I can give you some ideas on doing that if you want. Or . . . you can be lazy and continue to fret about it. ;-) Sometimes that's fun, too.

Do I need to give you my phone # or address? Just checkin'. Keep smiling, sweetie, you're wa-a-a-a-y too young to retire!! Let's see if we can return you to a better status.

Caroline said...

lyn--thanks for your nice comments. i know you have been busy with everything. you don't need to be bothered with my insignificant thoughts. and actually i think i worked through a lot of the feelings. i think i was more depressed then anything about coming back from vacation.