Friday, April 28, 2006

A Little Prespective

We have tried so many things to find Ben. I got a call from the workmen yesterday saying Ben had been around the house most of the morning. I rushed home and they told me how they almost caught him and he was coming to his name. They described him exactly. In the afternoon I sat out front of the house calling his name and walking up and down the street. Around 8:30 last night I walked out the front door and there was a cat that looked exactly like Ben. It seemed a little scared and was eating the food I had put out really fast. Looking at this cat I was certain it was Ben. It took about 15 more minutes and walking about a block before this cat allowed me to pick him up. It even meowed like Ben. Once back at the house I wanted to double check that this was indeed Ben. I checked the front claws and there were claws. Ben is declawed in the front. I was devestated. I was 99.9% sure it was Ben. I had to set the cat down and it walked away. Because Ben was a stray from around our house there are several cats that look very similar to him.

Our bathroom should be done this afternoon. It is looking good, but it is such a bittersweet moment. As much as I love the new bathroom, we have lost a huge part of our family in the process. Who knows, he may be hiding close to the house and just waiting until it really calms down around the house. I pray this is the situation.

Another thing that has put all of this in perscpective is some pretty live changing events going on with other people. I read several blogs and there is this one blog I read of a young woman who after several years finally became pregnant with triplets. She delivered them at 22 weeks on Tuesday. Sadly, one of the babies passed away on Wednesday. I can't imagine losing a child.

Then, this morning I got more devestating news. A lady I used to work with and had become really good friends with is dealing with something horrible. Her partner of 15+ years is going to be taken off of life support this afternoon. Her partner has brain cancer and has been fighting it for more then a year. The two of them have a 10 year old daughter together. Their daughter is the sweetest little girl. My heart goes out to their family.

I love Ben dearly and miss him so much it hurts. But here are two families that have or are going to be losing a child, mother/partner. What I am dealing with does not compare in any way to what these two families are having to deal with.

9 comments:

Casey said...

Big hugs.

I have no words - I am so sorry for all the losses going on right now.

Minnesota Nice said...

My cat Emma escaped last September and was gone for a WHOLE MONTH. She turned up 3 doors down, rather thin but completely fine. They say housecats rarely wander more than a 3-4 house radius, really check garages, sheds, sewer drains, etc. Search really close to the house!!

Anonymous said...

Pain is relative, Caroline. Yes, it would probably be insulting to the 2 families you mention, but your Ben is a family member, and the hearache is real, significant, and wrenching for you. You know, too, that if something happens to one of my "babies," (3 Shih Tau's, for those of you out there) how devastated I would be. I was thinking earlier today about the day that I was leaving here for that long drive to WA when China Doll went missing. I was panicking, and nothing was worse to me at that moment. Keep the faith. As Sandra said, the sometimes show up later. I had a cat missing for 2 weeks many years ago, and she made it home, even with a broken leg. Keep looking. Keep listening.

Isabel said...

Sending hugs.

Monogram Queen said...

Oh honey yes your loss does matter. It hurts to lose someone you love, no matter if they have two legs or three and you never really get over it. Keep the faith!

Francesca said...

Pain is pain...still, I guess this does help to put things in perspective. Very sad.

Hoping you find Ben.

Hugs!

Minnesota Nice said...

I remember trying to put Emma's loss in perspective because it was during the time so many people had lost pets during Katrina. It's compassionate (and helpful) to remind ourselves that others are suffering too.

BUT...don't give up on Ben. Cats are surprisingly resourceful, and born survivors. Odds are still good that you'll have a happy ending. I followed many false leads too (Emma's also a black cat - and they're everywhere!) Keep your spirits up and keep looking!!

Caroline said...

casey--thank you for your support

sandra--i love hearing the stories of cats or dogs coming back after weeks or months. gives me a little hope. we continue our daily and hourly searches around the house

lyn--i had forgotten about china getting out right before you were leaving.

isabel--thanks

patticakes--thank you for your kinds words..with so much going on with real human emotions it's hard to feel my pain without feeling guilty

francesca--thank you

sandra--thanks again. i will never give up on ben. I now find myself driving more slowly down the street and taking more time when i am in the yard..just looking and listening for him.

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

Big, big hugs and many positive thoughts for you two and for Ben. I will be thinking of you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend and her partner and the pain they must be going through too.