Monday, January 09, 2006

Oh To Be Young Again

Remember those days when there were no worries? Being grown up is harder then it sounds. Last week my Honda started making the familiar sounds where it was saying, "I need new brakes". Damn...So, I waited til after the weekend to get an estimate on how much front brake pads would be. Shit, they are expensive. We are talking $150 for parts and labor. And that's if they find nothing else wrong. So, I have it set up for tomorrow to treat my much loved car to new brakes. But it's a huge hit on the pocket book. Got me thinking about the things I missed about not being an adult. Here are some of the things:

1) The only responsibility I had when I was in school was to go to school. And when you're a teenager you love going to school for two reasons: a) you get away from your parents b) you love being around your friends. I decided to get a job when I was 16, but it was only so I could have spending money. My parents never forced me to get a job. I did it because I wanted to. I should have spent more of my teenage years just being a kid and not working. I guess only 35 more years before I am free from the "have to work" persepective. Unless of course I win the lottery.

2) As a kid I always had my parents to turn to when there was a major problem involving my car. They always seemed to take care of it. Now, I simply turn to our checkbook to see if we are able to take care of the major problem.

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy to out of the control of my parents. But as a child I had very little worries. It wasn't until I was an adult that they refused to let go of the control. And excuse me if this week I have one of those "I don't want to be a grown up" moments.

3 comments:

Casey said...

I can so relate. I have lots of "I don't wanna be the grown up!" moments.

Childhood truly is wasted on the young. :)

Isabel said...

I know how you feel. There are times (mostly when writing bills) where I don't want to be a grown up anymore. We just bought new tires for my car. Sucked big time. Almost $300 and that was with Joey's discount.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Makes you wish you'd treasured those carefree times a little more.