Thursday, January 19, 2006

Cellphones & 7th Graders Don't Mix

This morning started out as a wonderful day. I was feeling good and I was getting a lot accomplished at work. Who would have guess it would have turned into a hellish day by 3:30pm???

Laura is done with school around 2:15 or so. I tried calling her this morning just to see how her day was. I always call during her plan period and on her cellphone. There was no answer, so I left a message. I usually will wait for her to call, but she seemed to have had a challenging day at school yesterday and I just wanted to make sure she was ok. After I left the message I decided that I would call after school. When I called her cellphone at 2:30 it went straight to her voicemail. That means one thing..the phone is turned off. I waited about 15 minutes and tried again. This time the phone rang and rang and then went to voicemail. About 5 minutes later she called me at work. Here is our conversation.
ME: "Hi, I have been trying to call you."
HER: "That is what I am worried about. I can't find my cellphone. Call my cellphone from your cellphone" (I call her cellphone) "Is it ringing?"
ME: "Yes"

At this point we realize one of those fucking 7th graders has walked off with her phone. FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!! Poor Laura was so upset. I would be too. You can't leave anything out in her classroom unless it's nailed down. Last year someone got into her purse and walked off with $75. So, I call Verizon and cancel the number, etc, ect. Looks like Ms. Laura will be getting a new cellphone for Valentines Day. (no, just kidding..if I want to get "lucky" I should at least take her out to dinner too )

On the way home I stopped to get cat liter. (Remember, it's Thursday night and that is what I do on Thursday nights.) As I was walking around in Family Dollar looking for something I noticed this lady. I was right next to her and she took a box of pads, opened it and started filling up her pockets. I couldn't fucking believe it. She didn't even try to hide the fact that she was fucking stealing. As I went to the checkout this lady was in front of me. She didn't pay for her pads, but she paid $3 for a fucking windchime.

Got me thinking about this world. What the hell has happened to this world? Growing up I would never, in a milion years, thought about stealing from a teacher. And then this lady, out in the open, in front of others, stealing pads. Laura joked with me when I got home and said, "why didn't you steal us some pads." My response to her was, "because I would have been fucking arrrested." It always seems the people that are so blatent about stealing get away with murder...literally.

Tomorrow is a new day and we are suppose to get some snow. Life is always better when it snows.

4 comments:

Isabel said...

Stealing pads? All righty then.

Sorry about Laura's cell phone.

pack of 2 said...

UGH...That sucks!

I hope those little bastards are having a great time with the phone that doesn't work.

LOL about the pads.

S

Zoe said...

I always get "lucky" when I buy new electronics for BP, always. I don't even have to take her out to dinner.

What is this world coming to? I couldn't even imagine kids stealing from the teacher. I'm so glad I'm not a teacher.

SassyFemme said...

Almost 10 years ago I had two credits stolen at work (teaching), thousands of dollars were charged, luckily I wasn't responsible for even one cent.

We always have stuff being stolen from my school, it doesn't even phase us any more. Mine's an elementary, they're not even as old as the kids Laura teaches. Sad.