Friday, December 16, 2005

High School Memories



Today I got a call from my "best" friend from High School. It's been months since we talked, but I love how when we do talk it seems we pick up right where we ended. My friend, AH and her husband had their first baby six months ago. Thinking about one of us actually having a child is really hard to do. While we were talking today she was talking about a couple of her cousins that were born while we were in high school. I asked how old they were and was shocked to find out they are now in high school. Damn..has that much time passed since I was in high school myself. I am really feeling old lately. But talking with AH made me think about some of the things that went on while I was in high school. The picture to the left is an actual picture of my high school. My high school years were ok. I remember my freshman year I was so nervous. It was a whole new experience. The first morning of school I woke up, got in the shower, got dressed. I couldn't figure out why I was so tired. After getting ready I looked at the clock and realized it was only 12:45am. I thought I had oveslept so that is why I jumped out of bed and didn't even look at the clock. That is how I started out my high school years. It was during my freshman year that I met AH. We were in teh same biology class. I didn't really notice her until she was gone for a couple days and when she returned I asked where she had been. She had been to her aunts wedding. (the mother of the cousins that are now in high school) After that we just started hanging out and talking.

My sophmore year was a little more challenging. I was so depressed during the entire year. Right before x-mas that year we went to Hawaii and I missed two weeks of school. Then in Feb. we went to London and I missed another two weeks. Laura and I were talking about this last night and she asked, "how did you get away with missing that much school?". I really don't know. I always took my homework with me and had it was done by the time we returned. By the spring of that year I was so depressed. I hated my life, my parents and myself. Ended up in a psych hospital for depression for two weeks. (yes, I missed 6 weeks total of school that year, but still passed) Right after my sophmore year ended I went to Mexico with a group from school. I met a lot of new people and things got much better.

My junior year was probably my favorite. I felt at the top of the world. I had lots of friends and things were going really well. I had a nice car, a boyfriend (or two), an ok job and friends. What else do you need when you are 17? It was at the end of this year when AH told me her Dad was transfered out of town. I was crushed. She ended up moving that summer. I was sad, but I had other friends, so I was not completly alone.

My senior year was ok. I don't remember anything too exciting that happended that year. Couldn't wait to get out of school though.

It's weird being able to fit 4 years into four small paragraphs. All of the things that happened during those fours years seem so small compared to the big picture.

On a sidenote. My friend AH did move out of state. Well, 4 years later (we had kept in touch during those four years; infact she was the first person to tell me about email and the internet), she called me and said her Dad was being transfered back to KC. She said she was going to finish out college where she was and then come to KC to work. She got a job at a major greeting card company based out of KC. (everyone knows what company this is and we all cry at their commericals) So, it was odd how everything came full circle after college. Now she is back in KC raising with her husband and daughter.

3 comments:

Isabel said...

That's good you still talk to your friends from high school. I lost touch with most of mine.

SassyFemme said...

Isn't is great having friends that have known you for so much of your life? I email with a couple from HS every now and then, and am close again with another childhood friend.

pack of 2 said...

So AH are Angie's initials too...is you HS friend Angie???LOL!

I talked to my best friend from HS about a yr ago...she found me!

It is cool when you can reconnect.

Great for you!!!

Shelly