Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Relationship with food

We all have a relationship with food. I am finally at the age of 32, learning what my relationship with food has been. I used food as a comfort. It was the one thing in my life that was always there for me. I remember growing up feeling fat. When I was in elementary school I was taller then most of the other students, which made me feel fat. Looking back at the pictures from me at that time, I was not fat at all. But I always felt so fat. Some people that use food as comfort were taught that by their parents. I wasn't. I was never given food or treats as rewards. My parents tried to teach me the heathly aspects of food, but somehow I never learned. I think part of it is because I was growing through something emotionally at that time in my life and didn't have a chance to learn those lessons from my parents.

When I was a teenager my parents view on food changed because mine had as well. I was always told that I should be drinking diet soda, not to eat this and that. I remember my Father making "oink" noises at me at the dinner table. I don't remember exactly why, but I remember him making those noises at me. When I was a teenager I did not overeat. I ate how every teenager eats. They eat junk. And I was not fat. I was not even overweight. When I was 17 my Mother took me to a weight loss clinic where I was put on a liquid diet. It was pure hell. Imagine being in high school and while all your friends are eating normal food, I am eating chicken broth. I hated it. That diet pretty much caused me to starve myself for 45 days. After that I hated food and yet at the same time loved it.

Fast forward to when I got married. Now, for the past 7 years I was told what I should and shouldn't be eating. So, when I got married I ate everything in sight. I think in the first six months of the marriage I gained 40lbs.

I never realized that I was doing damage to my health from my eating habits and lack of exercise. I always felt I was one of the heathly overweight individuals. I couldn't be more wrong. Last January I went to the Dr. for a regualr Dr's visit and they realized I had diabeties. This is when I realized it was serious and I needed to make some changes. The Dr. suspects that it is hereditiy, but since I am adopted, I do not know my medical history.

Being told I have diabeties didn't hit me until October 22 of this year. Laura and I were on our little vacation and I realized I was not feeling good physically. Actually it kind of scared me. That is when I decided to make some changes in my life....for good. It was then that I decided that I needed to treat my body better. I can't tell you how good it feels going to the gym. We went last night and I did my usual 30 minutes on the elicipal trainer and went 2.3 miles and burned 320 calories. It does wonders for my mental health as well. I have learned to appreciate food and not abuse it as I had in the past. These days, my new best friend is water. I am drinking about 70 ounces of water a day and it has made all the difference in my engery level, my skin and so many other things. I look forward to eating fruits and veggies. And the weird thing is, I wake up in the morning and I can't wait to go to the gym.

Life is sweet.

2 comments:

pack of 2 said...

Glad to hear you are feeling so great.

Keep it up!

Shelly

Isabel said...

I used to take step classes when I was in college. Lost 15 lbs in one semester. Plus I did a lot of walking.
Good for you with the working out and keep at it.