Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Most Memorable Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Even when I didn't celebrate holidays, Thanksgiving has always been my favorite. My Dad and his side of the family are not Jehovah's Witnesses, so I always got a taste of celebrating holidays, but was always told to refrain myself from getting too excited. My Dad is an only child, so it was mainly his parents and his Uncle. His Father passed away when I was 9, so I don't remember that much about him. But when my Grandma moved to KC in the late 80's we always spent Thanksgiving with her and my Dad's Uncle. But we weren't suppose to be celebrating. Imagine how confusing that can be for a child. Here we are getting together for a holiday, but we weren't suppose to be celebrating.

One of the most memorable Thanksgivings for me was when I was about 9 or 10. We always went out for Thanksgiving dinner to the Country Club. Well, this year we were having one of my Uncles friends with us. I was so excited because she brought me and my brother these chocolate turkeys. I remember being so excited. It was hard going to these Country Clubs as a child because you always had to behave to well and not be loud. But going to JW services 3x a week taught me well how to be quiet. I have never forgotten that Thanksgiving.

It is so wonderful being able to celebrate the holidays with absoutly NO guilt. My family and the whole JW organization taught and trained through guilt.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I wish you a wonderful, happy and completely guilt free Turkey Day!!

Lea said...

Oh my...I so relate to this.
Finally told DH he could stay behind because I was tired of missing holidays without my family. He quit JW and went into the military. (which he always wanted to do)LOL

pack of 2 said...

AWESOME...Enjoy your day...Is this your first one?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Shelly

Caroline said...

No, this is my second Thanksgiving that I am really celebrating. Last year was my first.