Friday, February 27, 2009

"Don't Make Me Get In Your Face"

This was said to me today by one of the clients. He was upset because I assigned him the weekly chore of cleaning the kitchen. And cleaning the kitchen only consists of wiping down the tables and counter tops after the meals. He started yelling when I assigned him the chore and thankfully there was another staff member in the group with me and she took him out of the group. As he was leaving he walked right past me and got right up in my face while pointing his finger and said, "don't make me get in your face". I was never afraid, but I did think he was going to hit me. Thankfully he didn't and ten minutes later he was discharged. I love working in the addictions field, but it's frustrating when you have clients like this. His little outburst has only hurt himself.

Several of you asked about my new job and what I will be doing. I will be working in a very small hospital (only 25 beds) and I will be the social worker for the whole hospital. The hospital is small, but it is the only hospital in the county. During the interview they told me they serve about 10,000 people. I imagine I will be doing a lot of discharge planning and coordinating of services like medical equipment and evaluating patients that might need extended care in the home. When I was getting my masters degree I did my internship at a local hospital and worked with all 5 social workers that were in the hospital. I am looking forward to the challenge of the new job and I am really looking forward to the fact that this job will be a lot less stressful.

Tonight we are suppose to get about 3 inches of snow. This whole winter we have only received about a dusting of snow, so I am kind of excited about the snow. I checked the weather for my new town and they are suppose to get about 2 more inches then the KC area. Oh how I wish I was already moved. Snow + a fireplace+ S.....that would be the perfect weekend.

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

OK, 2 clients in one week? It's gotta be YOU!! LOL! There can't be that many angry addicts in KC. Just can't.

This would be a nice weekend to have the magic three, wouldn't it? Oh well, you have a lifetime ahead of you.

Monogram Queen said...

Whew what an incident! You handled it very well Caroline. I tend to get a bit, well, pugnacious so I would be NO good in your role. No good at all.
Snow,a fireplace and S. The perfect trifecta hmmmm? :)

Caroline said...

lynilu--no not two clients this week...just one. so no it was not me. :) i shared your comment with s and she agreed that we have many more winters to share a fireplace and snow.

mq--you are right....the perfect trifecta...

Bobbie said...

you can have all of our snow I am so sick of it. I commend you for handling your client I would have probably have gotten evil with him. That is the red head in me though lol.

Julie said...

Victor works here in a Children's hospital with many social workers. It will be interesting to hear your stories and share them with V.