Monday, March 17, 2008


It has been an interesting 24 hours to say the least. I am not sure what has happened, but the gentle Sadie has disappeared and a very nervous and strong (!!!!) dog has taken her place.

After Lynilu left yesterday both dogs were passed out. They slept most of the evening and seemed just fine. At 3:30am I woke up to a dog throwing up. I jumped out of bed and found Sadie at the front door throwing up. The look on her face was so sad. She was so upset and nervous. After I cleaned it up I took her out for a walk to see if she needed to go to the bathroom. She went both poop and pee and came back in and went back to sleep. Sadie loves to get up early to eat (like 5:30am early), but she slept until my alarm went off. As I walked Sophie I fed her and then took her for a walk. She seemed just fine.

When I got home both dogs were very happy to see me. I found myself sitting at work wondering if they were OK. I took both dogs on separate walks and all seemed fine. But one thing I noticed was Sadie was not eating. One thing about Sadie....she loves to eat. I thought maybe her stomach was still upset, but she kept pacing the apartment. After about 30 minutes of pacing I fed Sophie and put Sadie's food back down. Well, both dogs went to the others' bowl and started eating. All seemed fine.

I then decided to take Sadie for a walk and as we walked out the door she took off. Now Sadie is 75lbs of muscle. She pulled me so hard that my other hand pulled the front door shut. Thankfully that stopped her otherwise she would have been gone. And can you imagine me losing my boss' dog???? Yea, me either. To say the least it scared the shit out of me. Once I got her settled down we started out walk. She was out of control. I could not keep control of her and almost lost her 3 times. I literally had to hold her collar and drag her back to the apartment. When I got inside I thought, "How in the hell can I walk this dog for the next couple of days?"

My boss always walks Sadie on a Gentle Leader. When I got Sadie back to my house last week I couldn't figure out how to get it on her. So I just started walking her on Sophie's leash. All was fine until tonight. I quickly did a search on how to put on a gentle leader. Thankfully I got it figured out and she is a lot calmer on the walks now.

But I have no idea what got into her. She seems very nervous and upset. I am wondering if she just realized that she is here for a while and she is pissed about it. I just pray that the next couple of days she remains calm because when she is calm, I am calm.

My boss sent me a TXT message today saying that her aunt passed away. Her aunt had been sick for a while and the family was told she probably wouldn't make it to the end of the week. So please keep my boss in your prayers. Her aunt lived in Arizona, so it looks like M may be driving to Arizona for the funeral. That means Sadie will probably be with me through the weekend.

So tonight I pray for my boss and her family and I pray for Sadie to calm down and not be so nervous.


Lynilu said...

Caroline, could Sadie be afraid of rain and/or thunder? Especially after the weekend, which was somewhat stressful for her, I wonder if the weather might have added to her nervous state. Just a thought.

Patti said...

You are all in my prayers. You're boss is lucky she has you to take care of Sadie

Julie said...

There has been a lot of excitement at your house, I bet things calm down now for her.