Thursday, January 17, 2008

More Tummy Problems~Updated

So last night I took my first dose of Effexor. I appreciate Deb's concern and her wanting me to try something natural first. It has been 11 months since my world came crashing down and I really did try to not go on any medications, but I really feel that I need a little bit of help for right now. My goal is not to be on them for the rest of my life; maybe six months. Thanks again for your concern and suggestions Deb.

Having said that, this morning I feel like crap. Sophie got me up at 3:15am to go outside. (see, I told you we play that game in the middle of the night) I noticed when I got up that I was feeling sick to my stomach. I know one of the side effects is nausea, so I was kind of expecting it. I was hoping it would be gone by morning. Nope. And when you add the fact that I still feel sick to my stomach on the other end...it's not a good morning.

We ended up getting about 3 inches of snow last night, so traffic was horrible this morning. As I was sitting in traffic I thought I was going to throw up a couple of times. And the smell of exhaust was making things so much worse. Really, I felt like I could throw up at any moment. But I made it into work and now that I am here, I am wishing that I had stayed home.

I feel so sick to my stomach that nothing sounds good to eat. One of my techs had some saltine crackers and that seemed to help a little, but I really wish I could just be home in bed. I am going to see how I am feeling at noon and decide if I am going to stay.

It's been a while since I have been on any anti-depressants, so I am wondering if these symptoms are all normal. And if so, how long until my body adjusts to them?

*Updated*
I said to hell with work and came home. I sat there at my desk feeling like I was going to either throw up or have diarrhea and decided I am always giving and giving at my job and it was time I took care of myself. I may even take tomorrow off. Maybe.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I have a friend who takes it, and she said she felt a little icky for about two weeks. I take Lexapro, and I remember my side effects lasted about two weeks, too. Once you get past them, it's wonderful! Hang in there. :)

Minnesota Nice said...

I have no idea but that sure doesn't sound helpful to your overall feeling of wellbeing!!! Do you have a nurse-line you can call? I really hope you feel better!

Bella said...

Feel better!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Hope you feel better soon!! I dont remember having side effects when I started taking it.

Lynilu said...

I'm glad you took yourself home. There is no sense in pushing and pushing and pushing. Get some rest and hope for a better day tomorrow.

The adjustment period varies for each person, but as Kim suggests, if you're still having problems in a couple weeks, I'd call the doc. Or if it gets worse. BTW, I was talking with another counselor today, and was reminded that a side effect of Effexor is often increased libido. Yeah, I said that right ... increased! So watch yourself!! :D There are certainly worse side effects, huh?

I hope this is what you need to steer you back on track. You've been through enough. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You know, I took Effexor for several years and it was a great help to me. I ended up needing to change my meds though as I developed high blood pressure while taking it. Now I take Zoloft and it is not as helpful I think. As for Debs rant about meds, every person is different and there is no shame in needing help to deal with depression. There are those of us who do take good care of ourselves physically with exercise and proper diet etc, and still we need meds. Depression is a disease. It is an illness. It isn't something to mess around with and it's not always fixed the "100% natural way". I'm proud of you Caroline, for taking care of yourself. You are doing a good job. Sadly, I don't remember the side effects but I do know they're normal.