Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lessons Learned

It's been a very relaxing Sunday so far. Rusty's parents called yesterday and said they would be coming back today instead of yesterday. I told them about his "spraying" issue and they did seem upset and said they would make it up to me. Not too sure what that means. Rusty is actually a very sweet dog, just high strung. I just noticed this morning that he has chewed a spot on his leg and it's bleeding. Poor guy. He just hates to be in his kennel, but I don't trust him at night or when I am not here. Secretly I can't wait for 3pm to get here and they pick him up. I think we will both be happy once he is back with his family. Sophie is doing better. She is sleeping most of the day because of the medication and she seems to be walking fine on her foot. I am just thankful that Rusty was here because normally I don't go home at lunch. I hate to think what would have happened if I had not come home and been able to get her to the vet.

This morning I went and got my haircut. Getting my haircut always makes me feel better. The place I go is right down the street from my parents house and the Kingdom Hall where I attended and got kicked out. As I drove by I thought I would take a picture. I saw the cars of most of my family and for an instant I was thankful. I was thankful that I had the strength to get out of the cult and more importantly to have the strength to stay away. It would have been really easy for me to go back this year and say I had made a huge mistake. I would have been welcomed back (well, after the whole process which takes about 6 months) and my family would have taken care of the financial problems I am having. I am proud of myself for not taking the easy road out.

Even on my really bad days I never think about going back to the church or my family. I would rather live in a box and be happy with myself then give up who I am for someone else just so I don't have money problems.

I have been doing some thinking about the lesson I am learning in all of this. Growing up I did not want for anything. Pretty much anything I wanted I got. I remember being 18 and seeing a Honda Accord that I liked and within a week my parents went and bought the Accord for me. I think my parents tried to make me work for things, but never followed through. So really I never learned the value of a dollar.

The last 8 months I have learned the value of a dollar. I don't think I learned this lesson while I was with Laura. Looking back on our relationship it was based a lot around money. I would have denied that while we were together, but now that I am looking back on the 3 years we were together, it was based around money. And to have a relationship based on money is a very sad one indeed.

So on this Sunday morning I am thankful for finally learning the value of a dollar. I am thankful that through this lesson I still have a roof over my head (for now at least), a nice car to drive, food in the refrigerator and 3 of the best furry friends to love.

7 comments:

Bella said...

You are a much stronger person than you give yourself credit for!

Julie said...

Good for you in finding that lesson - it seems like it will be way harder on people to learn that one later. The other day I turned on some crappy reality show and almost felt sorry for the spoiled Hollywood kids that take everything for granted.

Caroline said...

katie--thank you for the kind words. you are too sweet

julie--this morning when i was getting ready to go out i was watching that stupid show on MTV about kids 16th b-day. i couldn't believe how spoiled they were. this one girl spent over $4000 on clothes and her said smiled and said, "not too bad". if i had $4000 given to me you would think i had won a million dollars.

yankeegirl said...

Caroline-
It's very liberating (and scary) to be on your own. I have realized over the past couple of years that in the past I made all my decisions based on fear. Now that I have recognized and changed (for the most part) this behavior, my life is so much more satisfiying.
I'm proud of you (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) for having the courage to be yourself ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I have to say I understand this so much. I don't think we truly learn the value of a dollar as witnesses because we are always told to live as if today is our last day. Why plan for the future when you're not going to have one in this 'worldly' system of things?

SassyFemme said...

Remember that we're never given more than we can handle, even if it feels like it at times. You're learning and growing in so many directions through all this crap. You will be okay, that I'm sure of.

Monogram Queen said...

Learning the value of a dollar is a good thing but it sucks to have money troubles too. Good for you for toughing it out. Hugs Caroline! Glad Sophie is going to be okay.