Sunday, October 21, 2007

Grandma A


I have a wonderful friend that has been coming over and helping me with the painting of the inside of my house. Last night as we were in the bathroom trying to figure out what my Grandma had done so the shelves in the closet would not come out, my friend and I started talking about my Grandmother and she asked me what the funniest memory of my Grandma was. There was no question what the funniest memory was. It's funny now, but I am sure at the time it was not. When I first started going away to summer camp I was only 9. The first couple of years I got very homesick. I would write my parents and Grandparents these long letters about what I missed home so much. I am sure it was very hard for both my parents and Grandparents to read these letters that made it sound like I was completely miserable. Every time my Grandma would get a letter she would use a red pen and underline the sentences where I sounded so miserable. She then gave those letters to my parents telling them they should go up and get me. Would you believe I still have those letters. Only my sweet Grandma would do that and then have the guts to give them to my parents.

Whenever I think of my Grandma I immediately think of the last time I was with her. My ex husband and I were about a week away from our first anniversary. My aunt had called me at work and asked if I could go and sit with my Grandma while everyone else went to church. I really didn't want to. It was my only night off that week and I really just wanted to go home and relax. Well, I told my aunt I would even though I really didn't want to. Well, as it turns out that was one of the best nights of my life. My Grandma and I just sat around and talked about everything. One week later my Grandma died. Thinking back to that night it's as if she gave me that night with her as one last gift.

My Grandma used to always tell me that I reminded her of a herself when she was younger. She understood my shyness and told me it was OK to be shy and never made me feel bad about it. (I used to be really shy) When I graduated from High School she told me that I was the first daughter of her first daughter and that made me special.

I often think about how my Grandma would have reacted to my coming out. Deep down I think she might not understand it, but that would never stop her from having a relationship with me or loving me.

Next month will be 11 years since she passed away. As I always do, I will go to her grave, leave her a Hershey bar and remind myself of how lucky I was to have her as my Grandmother.

*Picture*
Grandma Alice and Caroline 1974

9 comments:

Bella said...

Awesome memories Caroline.

A social worker in the making. said...

awww what a nice post.I think she would be so proud of the person you are turning out to be

Lynilu said...

I'm miss your Grandma Alice, too. She was a lady. As you know, I spent some extended special time with her, too, and I'm with you ... regardless of what you might be told elsewhere, I think she would have continued to love you and be proud of you. :)(:

Chelle said...

Sounds like your Grandma was a wonderful woman. I'd guess she would have been proud of who you've become.

Anonymous said...

No one can take away your good memories of times gone by. Those are yours and yours alone to cherish. I think your Grandma would accept you just the way you are.

Ruth

Kim said...

What a sweet woman...I can tell from her eyes. She has such kind eyes. And underlining the letters? That makes me tear up thinking about it.

She may not have completely understood, but you would have had her love. It's obvious that your happiness was a great concern for her.

I'm glad you have your memories.

Monogram Queen said...

That is a sweet, sweet memory of your grandma. I miss my grandparents too, so very much.

SassyFemme said...

Your grandma sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm glad you got to have the gift of that day with her. I'm sure she's smiling down on you, proud of the strong woman that you are, despite so many obstacles in your path.

yankeegirl said...

Thats a very sweet story, Caroline. I love the pic- I think you've had it on here before and I remember thinking you were such a cute baby!
I lost my Mom 3 years ago, before I came out. I have "religious" relatives who tell me it would have "killed" her, but I like to think, like you do, that she would love me no matter what. That's just the way she was. (There's a pic of her w/ me and my kids over at my blog)
Take care Caroline- (hugs)