Tuesday, September 04, 2007

On Being Sensitive

One of our units has a nurse that is crazy. When I say crazy, I mean I really think she is delusional. It's kind of scary that she is still allowed to work even though she has said some really crazy stuff. She told our supervisor that Jesus told her she was getting a new office with a window so she went out and got curtains for those windows. Funny thing is I think Jesus was wrong. Yes she did get a new office, but there are no windows. Who knows, maybe this nurse actually believes there are windows in this office.

I try to avoid this nurse because she is just nuts and tries to push her work off on me. A few weeks ago she cornered me and said I was not doing my job and that maybe I should just spend some more time up on the unit. I am not sure where she figured I was not spending enough time up there because I spend a lot (probably more then I should) of time up there. I went to our boss and he was very upset that she did that and sat her down and told her she had no right to talk to me like that and that it was in fact her not doing her job.

This morning I had to go into the nurses office to get something and I made the mistake of asking how her weekend was. She went on to tell me about this church revival she went to over the weekend. She explained how she got a lot of her anger and guilt out in the 3 day revival. She then went on to tell me how we all need to be saved or we are going to hell. Apparently to her hell is where we burn forever. She made sure she pointed out that it was forever. The real kicker was when she then told me that homosexuality is an abomination and that if I ever wanted any information on being saved or repenting to let her know.

Um, I don't think so. I am pretty happy knowing that my God loves me exactly the way I am. If anyone needs to be saved it would be her.

Yes what she said to me bothered me a little because for a few seconds my JW thinking came back and I thought, "Maybe she is right. Maybe who I love is wrong and that is why I have had so many hard times the past six months". Thankfully one of my favorite co-workers (and boss') were there for me when I needed to vent about what this nurse said. I told them about my thoughts for a brief second and my boss looked at me and said, "Please don't let what she said make you think that. There is nothing wrong with who you love and do not let what she said upset you." I was not upset, I actually thought what the nurse said was kind of funny.

Maybe my heart has become hardened to the mean things people say to me. I used to always be told that I was too sensitive. Maybe I am becoming less sensitive. And to be honest, I think I would be upset if I was becoming less sensitive. I think it's very humbling to be sensitive.

I know too many people that have hard hearts and I never want to be like that. I love the fact that I still cry at commercials, movies I have seen 100 times and when I see a stray dog walking around that has been badly neglected.

Being sensitive is a very good thing in my book and I am proud of that fact that I have feelings and I am not ashamed to show them.

11 comments:

Bella said...

I believe, if you were becoming hard that it would come through in your posts.

One Messed Up Chick said...

thank you for the birthday card :) I got it today.
Nathalie

Julie said...

This whole "God says being Gay is wrong" crap is exactly why most of us rational people who believe in a God can't say we are Christians. It's idiotic and arrogant to pretend we KNOW these things, when a 5 year old could understand the basic message of the Bible...which is not to judge.
Grrrr.

Luna said...

Somtimes people just say stupid things...You are a proud, strong, sensitive woman...who should care whether you prefer to love men or women....if people just get to know you that isn't an issue!

Unknown said...

Along with being ignorant ass....couldn't she be fired for saying that to you? I would think so...
Sorry you went through that!!

Shannon said...

That's so inappropriate, for her to be pushing religious views on people at work! I'm surprised she's allowed to keep her job.

amy h said...

Have you ever heard this song?

I'm Sensitive

(I hope I did that link right. I can't remember my html right now.)

Casey said...

You just keep on being who you are.

Patti_Cake said...

That bitch needs a little "come to Jesus" talk with HR!

Lynilu said...

Everyone has his/her own reality. My reality is that people are just people, and the ones that make me uncomfortable I keep at arms length; everyone else is OK just as they are. I know that is hard in the work place, but I think I would say to her "I'm comfortable with my relationship with God. Please don't worry, and please don't talk to me about this again." If she does, Patti is right ... a visit to HR. She is crossing a line for sure.

Unknown Me said...

Hon, if all the "gays" are going to hell, then it's going to be one HELLUVA party and I, for one, don't want to be left out!