Sunday, September 23, 2007

Even More Beautiful



Ever since I wrote that email to my Mom I have been doing a lot of thinking. When I sent it and even when I posted it to my blog I was thinking it was a good email, but I had no idea how much I have truly changed in the last six months until I went back and read it the next day. As I was reading the email again it was if I was reading what someone else wrote, not my own words.

For so long I have masked my hurt with anger. Instead of admitting that I was hurt, I would lash out in anger. It is a lot easier to be angry then to admit that I was hurt. When it comes to my parents I think I spent most of the last 3 1/2 years angry with them. I was too afraid to just admit that I was really just hurt. When Laura left six months ago I was sad and hurt, but around May I switched that feeling to angry. And for the last four months I have only expressed my anger at Laura. The truth is, I am still just really hurt at what she has done. I am hurt that she loved someone more than me. I am hurt that she lied to me. I am hurt that she has just walked away from all her responsibilities here.

When I was a child we went to Hawaii five times. As many of you might know, the big island of Hawaii is an active Volcano. I remember standing on the lava and looking down and seeing the hot lava moving underneath. The other thing that I always noticed was the amazing and beautiful growth that was all around me. I used to find it amazing that something could grow back in what seemed like complete destruction.

After re-reading that email I wrote my Mom I realized and became grateful for the new growth that has occurred in me since March. Sitting here tonight I really do feel like a totally different person then I was the day before the breakup.

Sometimes the most devastating event can actually create something even more beautiful.

I think it's time to write that letter to Laura.

4 comments:

Lynilu said...

Yes, it will probably be a healing act. I like your statement: "Sometimes the most devastating event can actually create something even more beautiful." Absolutely. And it is you.

Sheryl said...

It will be healing, and I would say too that it will be healing even if you choose not to send the letter. Of course, you must make the decision. I have found, though, that when I need to write this kind of letter, sometimes just the act of writing is enough of a release for those emotions...and whether the letter's sent or not, I can feel better just getting it off my chest.

Bella said...

Your post brought the song "Life Ain't Always Beautiful" By Gary Allen to my mind....

Part of the chorus is:

Life aint' always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride.

Monogram Queen said...

Go girl - it will be cathartic!