Friday, August 24, 2007

Phone Call

I can't believe I forgot to write about this in my last post. On Wednesday afternoon my Dad called my cellphone. When I realized I had a new voicemail I didn't look to see who had called. So, when I heard my Dad's voice on the message it kind of caught me off guard. On the message he just asked me to call him. And it was in his "normal this is your Dad" voice. From the voicemail you would never know we have not had a relationship in 3+ years.

I debated on whether or not to call him. I figured they got word that the house was on the market and he was just calling to ask me about that. (My Aunt is a realtor, so I was just waiting for them to find out about the house) Part of me did not want to talk to him. I had so much going on with work that I didn't want to have to deal with any of their crap.

About 8pm I was talking with MG (mystery girl) and I was telling her about the call when something told me to call my Dad. So I called him.

It was the strangest phone call. When I called he answered and I said HI and that I was just returning his call. His response was, "Hi, What's going on?" The tone of his voice and what he said made it seem like the last 3 years had not happened. He then said that my Mom wanted him to call to see about buying some of my furniture!?!?! I was like, "what?" Apparently she wants to buy back two of the antique pieces of furniture that they gave me when my ex husband and I got married. Laura and I sold one piece about 2 years ago because it was just too big and not my style and the other is a cedar chest.

I really don't want to sell (or give) any of my furniture to my parents. First of all, I don't want them coming to my house. I truly believe that they only want to get into my business and have no interest in the furniture. I did tell my Dad that if my Mom really wanted to buy this furniture then SHE should call me. He agreed.

My Dad then asked me a lot of questions that he had no business asking.

"Is your house in foreclosure"

"Is Laura helping with the payments"

"What is the balance on your mortgage"

I was so proud of myself because each time he asked me an inappropriate question I simply told him I was not comfortable sharing that information with him.

My Dad then started asking about the furniture that was his Moms. He was acting as if he wanted them back. I explained to him that I am still using the bedroom set. He seemed surprised for some reason. I am not sure if he was expecting to talk to me and find out that I am homeless and living in my car. The best question was, "are you calling me at the house right now?"

I just don't get my parents. Do they not realize that they can not come into my life only when they want something?

Thank goodness my sense of humor has returned.

8 comments:

KellyNerd said...

holy crap! thats all i got... wow.

KellyNerd said...

that and hang in there! =)

yankeegirl said...

unbelievable. just crazy!
Im glad your sense of humor has returned. It helps so much when so much crazy stuff is going on to be able to laugh about it. (speaking from experience here :)
((hugs))

Lynilu said...

Funny how they ... or at least he ... will talk to you when *they* have a need or agenda. Maybe I'll rephrase that ... he will call when she has an agenda. I just don't get that.

What I do get is how strong you are!!! You go, girl!!

Caroline said...

kelly--actually compared to some of the things my parents have done or said, this is not bad at all.

yankeegirl--yes, it's official..my parents are crazy. :) it does feel good to laugh about all of this

lynilu--ok, i think this was my favorite comment of yours. not only does it feel good to be strong, but it feels good for others to see that as well. thanks.

Anonymous said...

i wish your parents would share their bong--- must be really good dope. otherwise, how can such behavior be explained? good to see you with healthy boudaries and doing what you need to in order to maintain that health-- setting limits and sticking to them.

Unknown Me said...

I have not had a relationship with my parents in over a year, for very different reasons, but I can imagine the emotions you were feeling over A.) the fact that he called at all and B.) the nature of his call. Good for you for setting those boundaries!!

Holly said...

Way to be strong!
What a strange phone conversation...
Sorry I'm a little late catching up with your past few days!